Catoctin Mountain Freestone Browns

3wt7X

3wt7X

A good friend and I made it out this afternoon and fished some of our old spots in the Catoctin Mountains. The hatches were really nice, midges, hendricksons, caddis and a few march browns, and the water conditions were perfect. We fished a stream that gets relatively dry during the summer months, despite that we found many willing wild browns. My buddy was able to catch a beautiful 13 inch fish in pocket water and I took a couple over 10 inches on both dries and nymphs.

Some days you can just tell things are going to be just right on the stream without even casting a line, and today was one of them!!!

Attachments

• CB11.jpg
    CB11.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 18
  • CB31.jpg
    CB31.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 12
Nice.

It's been too long since I've kicked around my old stompin grounds in Catoctin/CFSP. Those streams really do seem to come alive in springtime compared to summer and fall.

Those are terrific Catoctin Browns. If from Big Hunting Creek......Exceptional! Well done.

I got a few more hours in fishing the Catoctins in the last 4 days. I took my daughters up for a hike on an upper tributary this weekend. The day was mostly spent taking nature pictures and exploring. I took my 3wt and I told my oldest it was my secret brook trout spot. She did not believe there was anything in the tiny stream. Like magic, first cast with and Elk Hair caddis and the rod was dancing. I showed the girls how to handle the fish, and they enjoyed touching it and watching it swim away.

Went out with my good friend again for two hours today. Great fishing with many wild browns to hand!!! Lots of midges in the air with the occasional mayfly. A size 16 adams did the trick all afternoon. Those freestone brown trout are amazing looking fish. I'm still looking for the elusive 18 inch freestone brown, but I will take all the 10 inchers I can get along the way!!!

Attachments

• Eva.jpg
    Eva.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CM1a.jpg
    CM1a.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 14
  • CM2a.jpg
    CM2a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
Gorgeous fish 3wt I learned to fly fish on Big Hunting and lately I have been finding myself falling in love all over again with Big Hunting the surrounding streams. Hopefully one of us will find that 18 inch brown but I cant complain with the 10-14 inchers especially with how beautiful they are.

Really nice fish 3WT. I absolutely love those streams. The proximity to DC area is nice, only takes an hour or so to get up there.

Good luck with your search for the 18" brown. They do exist up there but catching one is another story.

Back