Castle Combe England

salmo

salmo

My wife and I were lucky enough to visit England the week of August 15. We took a tour of the countryside from London to Stonehenge. For lunch we stopped in Castle Combe. This village had a church from the 13th century. After lunch we took a stroll through this beautiful, old town. We crossed an ancient stone arch bridge over a small, slow moving stream. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed some surface activity. Sure enough the stream was full of nice sized brownies and my rod was 3,500 miles away. Still in all it was neat to see salmo trutta in a European creek.

natives.

Orvis in Winchester would lend you an outfit, for next time.

you were actually in chalk stream country, that's a trib of the Wiltshire & Somerset Avon, home of GEM Skues, Halford, Sawyer, Plunkett Greene etc

I'm sure there were Grayling in that stream hiding too.

wonderful scenery round there, truly real England. If you like books, the works of Thomas Hardy describe it as it used to be.

cheers

Mark.

geebee wrote:
natives.

Orvis in Winchester would lend you an outfit, for next time.

you were actually in chalk stream country, that's a trib of the Wiltshire & Somerset Avon, home of GEM Skues, Halford, Sawyer, Plunkett Greene etc

I'm sure there were Grayling in that stream hiding too.

wonderful scenery round there, truly real England. If you like books, the works of Thomas Hardy describe it as it used to be.

cheers

Mark.

I assume that would be fishing a beat for a fee? What would they charge for something like that?

on a small creek ? probably $50 or so. On the Avon itself, it depends on the stretch.

http://www.fishingbreaks.co.uk/chalkstream/avon.htm

not cheap, but then its blue ribbon water with demand from all over the world.

the cheaper chalkstream fishing in England is in Yorkshire & Derbyshire.

I with my family stayed in Heytesbury for a week last summer, and every day I ventured into the village and behind the old church there to stand on the bridge and watch the trout rise. Not sure but that may have been the Wyle.
Also chased some large spinners in the evenings..kinda like green drakes but slightly smaller they would land on parked cars...not a blizzard, just a smattering.

Back