Casting issue

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I had the IFF help me with my casting at the show yesterday. It seems that I am "breaking my wrist" while casting. Any good advice to correct this?

robkonowitch wrote:
I had the IFF help me with my casting at the show yesterday. It seems that I am "breaking my wrist" while casting. Any good advice to correct this?

Now that you have received help to identify a flaw in your casting, focus on not breaking your wrist until it becomes second nature.

I've seen some sort of harness thingie that you put on your wrist and arm to prevent excessive wrist movement,. You can do much of the same thing by putting a stout rubber band around your wrist and slipping the butt end of your rod into the rubber band. Also, if seen tucking the rod butt into your sleeve work, too.

But again, the most important thing is to stay conscious of your wrist movement and practice.

Agree with Afish. If you have a death grip on the rod, that may play into it. Try gripping like a light handshake, and them tightening up at the end of your stroke. Its not a wrist movement, but just adding some extra pressure to the handle.

At the newbie jam, I rigged up a temp fix. We used a rod with an uplocking reel seat. I had a Velcro strap around the casters wrist and put the butt of the rod under the strap. It inhibits the excessive wrist action and lets you know right away when you do it. An livestrong bracelets or a couple of rubber bands would provide the same feedback.

Since you live close, I'll help if you'd like some but it's got to be in the 40's for me to work on casting.

Thanks. I will take you up on it!

Great offer from kray for some casting instruction - he does a super job teaching.

Another option for you is the aforementioned Newbie Jam. It's Sunday morning, 3/29/15 at the Wildlands Conservancy here in the Lehigh Valley.

At the Newbie Jam, we'll have casting instructors available from 8:30 until noon, and they include the 2 time PA Casting Champion, an Orvis Casting Instructor, and 3 (ex) LL Bean Casting Instructors.

I'm pretty confident these 5 people can help you fix any casting issues you may have. ;-)

H.A.

Ummm, I'm a 25 time "household casting champion". Does that count? The dog tries every year but without a thumb, I kill him in the distance category. LOL. He's better at bow and arrow cast though.

Well... I need all the help I can get... maybe the dog can show me something too

The rod is essentially an extension of your forearm. Let the bend of the rod do the work for you in building up inertia. Take a video of yourself and watch it to see where the line breaks down. You'll see pile casts, or hear the line "snap" at the back cast. I saw and heard it a ton at the casting ponds at the Lancaster show. It means there's too much slack in your line (typically) and you're trying to catch up. When you break your writs it causes the line to dip and you lose momentum. Shorten your casting stroke and keep the rod butt close to your forearm. Like it was said before, rubber bands or a strap of some sort will help.

Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect Practice makes perfect. Keep working on doing it right.

I saw a guy cast 30 feet in the air at the show, every time the line landed it fell in a pile. I was wondering why someone didn't tell him what was going on.

Krayfish wrote: Since you live close, I'll help if you'd like some but it's got to be in the 40's for me to work on casting.

I think he's talking $40.00 there Rob!!

Nope pennypack, I'm talking temps.

Rob,

Since it's now summertime, give me a shout if you want to go practice some casting. I'll have to figure out where I put my gear first. I'm sure it's dust covered by now.

Pick up one of Joann Wullfs casting rods. 7 months of no fly fishing it sits near the couch in the living room. I practice whacking the corners of the tv when watching a video. No cable or regular channels otherwise. Keeps me in check for spring!

I believe she had a wrist gizmo for this issue as well.

3 more weeks to go!

Can you get the fly where you want it to go, most of the time?

Back