Casting Angle

RCFetter

RCFetter

The other day I noticed my fly was making too much splash when it hit the water. I figured that the fly I tied had too much weight (bead headed pheasant tail with wire ribbing and 10 wraps of .15 lead) so I googled fly splash and found the article linked below.

Maybe the fly has too much weight but my casting angle was something I never really thought about and I realized my casting angle had drifted too high over the past year. It also explains why I hooked the back of my shirt twice this year (that never happened before).

In addition to the article, I was wondering if any experienced casters had thoughts they could share or does the article say it all.

Casting Angle by Lefty Kreh

To keep it simple:

Cast so that your line goes flying out horizontal.

Not angled down.
------------------------------------------------------

If the line goes out horizontal, then the line and fly will drop gently to the water, just from gravity.

If your cast is angled down, the fly and line will slam into the water, from the speed of your forward cast. You are sending the momentum of the cast not just OUT, but also DOWN, into the water. Bang! Splash!

Some refer to this as CRASHING THE CAST. I'm pretty experienced at crashing casts.

It is pretty easy to make the adjustment. Just stop the rod tip a little sooner, a little higher. Watch to see that the line is going out level, horizontal to the surface of the water.

Another option is to stop the rod tip high on the delivery stroke, then follow the fly to the water with the rod tip.

...should have read the above post

Yep, it sounds like tb nailed it. From what you've said it sounds like your pointing your rod tip at the water at the end of your forward cast.

Thanks guys.

The article says the fly line should be at eye level. So if holding the rod straight up is 12 o'clock, getting the line to fly out at eye level means casting the rod between 2 and 3 o'clock.

Is that too much of an angle?

As far as angles: I don't think there is a wrong way. Believe it or not casting with an easy stroke at a pure sidearm angle will soften up presentations.

There are so many little tricks to change presentations

Orvis has a good video on the pile cast and parachute cast. watch how high he stops the rod tip, and how much it slows the final part of the presentation. Those two casts are lifesavers on gin clear spring creeks.

RCFetter wrote:
Thanks guys.

The article says the fly line should be at eye level. So if holding the rod straight up is 12 o'clock, getting the line to fly out at eye level means casting the rod between 2 and 3 o'clock.

Is that too much of an angle?

In the video of a basic cast below, notice the rod angle at the stop of the forward cast and the follow to the surface in the beginning of the video. Also note you can cast more sidearm if need be in certain situations. Finally, you will find that stopping your rod at lower angle is necessary to drive your line to the target without getting blown back in the wind. Practice makes [d]perfect[/d] better.

See All Orvis Learning Center Fly Fishing Video Lessons

I've been concentrating on this exactly this year.

Thanks again. I think I was confusing one angle with another. I'll do some backyard practicing over the weekend but I really need a to take a lesson from a pro.

I always thought casting a fly rod was easier than swinging a golf club. Now I'm not so sure.

Maybe its the wrong approach but sometimes I intentionally want to shoot the fly down into the water. If I'm fishing fast water with a deep plunge pool I try to get it deep quick, so that the current doesn't keep it on the top. Sure extra weight can do that for you but sometimes it gets ridiculous when you are up to 6 split shots and still not hitting the bottom! Changing your cast can make the difference.

That's good stuff troutbert, never thought of it that way.

When I actually do fish dries, I constantly remind myself to aim for what would be the horizon if the world were flat. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Boyer

RCfetter, I would be more than happy to help you if you would like. I probably only live 15 to 20 mins away from Lambertville.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
RCfetter, I would be more than happy to help you if you would like. I probably only live 15 to 20 mins away from Lambertville.

GenCon

Thanks Gencon. That's very generous. My schedule is uncertain this week. I'll pm you later today or tomorrow when I have a better idea.

This week is tough for me as well. No hurry.

GenCon

The splash = not good for trout
The splash = good for bass, panfish, muskies

Back