Casting adjustment question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

So... I have now realized that I have a problem casting heavier flies. It appears that I can cast dry flies or green weenies etc well but when trying to cast a wolly bugger or something heavier I am having issues.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

It's likely that you have to slow your cast and throw a more open loop.

I was having somewhat the same issue. When I put a split shot on it wasn't working well for me at all.

I find you have to really let the line and bugger tug on the back cast before you punch it forward. Learning to haul will help alot too.

Great! I was starting to think I was going nuts. I will try to practice and see how I improve!

rob,

I'm 5-10 minutes north of you. If you want to have someone take a look at your casting / see if I can get you on the right path, shoot me a PM. We can go above the dam on Stony and chuck a few casts after work one evening.

Andy

Andy,

You are the man! I will send you a PM in a day or so!

I have the same problems. now after trying to learn the belgian oval cast I just use roll casts for heavier flies.

It's pretty hard to analyze casting issues when able to see how a person is casting. With weighted flies you want a slightly open loop though. And you need a slightly longer hesitation on you cast.

Still waiting for PM.

Also consider your set up: rod action type and also what size and length tippet you have on the line. Line type and weight should be considered as well.

Back