Cassleman River Smallmouth

O

Outback_Yak

I had found this article online and it got me interested https://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/11044402-74/river-fish-casselman .

Has anyone fished the Cassleman River for smallmouth? In particular, I am interested in the section of river between Markelton and Fort Hill. I'll be on the bike/foot, but if you have floated it, I'll take any information you have. Thanks in advance.

It’s a brutal wade in my small sample size. In the times I have fished it, I caught rainbow stockers.

Does have the bike path along it though. It’s usually to low to float in summer from what I have heard.

I've put time in there. Brutal wade indeed. Most of the river bottom & bank are basketball sized round river cobbles. Not a place for sandals.

Access is spotty from the trail, most of the property is (I believe) timber company land, posted no trespassing off of the trail, signs all over the place, in certain areas. So while the trail is close to the river, it's not state park like the Ohiopyle section of the same trail.

Kayakers do float it a good bit, in the spring, but yea, too low in the summer. Unless you're going after a storm, then it's muddy.

Yeah it looks like a real bear to wade for sure. Have you had any success there or is it more trouble then its worth?

I have had success & I like the place. I'm not going to say exactly where. But it's like most places, the farther you are willing to go from the easy access points the better the fishing gets. It holds some big bass, but you have to seek them out, they don't come easy. If you put in some work, it can pay off.

Seriously though, it's very mentally taxing to walk/wade there. Every single step you take you have to pay attention for rocks/unstable footing & bonus... snakes. Break an ankle down in there & you're going to have a rough go.

Thanks D-nymph. I understand exactly what you mean. I've made a couple brief trips just to check it out. Nothing over an hour. I figured it had to hold fish some decent fish.

It does. Best fly types for me there - wool head sculpins, various crayfish, MOAL leeches. Good luck

Back