carp spawn?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Anyone know when the time of year the carp spawn is? I'm getting an 8wt soon and my goal is to catch a carp on the fly this year. My first full year of fly fishing and I'm having a BLAST!!

now..

Well, in the spring

I fished a few local lakes last week, sure looked like they were spawning to me.

JH

From the PFBC web site:

Life history: Carp spawn in late spring to early summer, over aquatic vegetation. They may choose a shallow, weedy bay. After rains have swelled their home river over its banks, they may move into flooded fields to deposit eggs on submerged plants. The splashing of their spawning commotion in shallow water can often be seen and heard. Several males may spawn with a female, which can release up to two million tiny eggs. The carp parents abandon the eggs. The eggs adhere to submerged vegetation and to the bottom. They hatch in four or five days. Carp grow to four or five inches their first year. They mature in three or four years, and they can live to be about 20 years old. The carp is an omnivore, eating a wide variety of aquatic plants, algae, insect larvae and other invertebrates, and even small fish. Its usual feeding method is to disturb the bottom material with its snout and pick up the food it dislodges, usually kicking up clouds of silt. Carp have a well-developed sense of taste and a sensitive mouth.

As it says, you often can hear loud splashes when they are spawning.

That was what I was seeing right along shore last week. You could hear from around the bend and could have netted them if you wanted. There were some biggins going about bussiness.

JH

In my experience when they are spawning you have no chance of catching them. Not that it's easy other times!

I've caught a few carp on Green Inchworms. And one on an ElkHair caddis when they were rising. I also hooked one on a red San Juan worm, and it promptly broke me off.

Been getting them on a brown woolybugger with webby hackle. One hit it as if it were a bass.

I've caught several on a hares ear on spring creek.
JH

I often catch them in the Delaware River while fishing for smallmouth bass with my fovorite smallmouth fly--a Clouser crayfish. When you hook one--and you will-- hang on, they will wear your arms out. I have gone out deliberately for carp but I seem to catch more of them as a byproduct of smallmouth fishing. They are lots of fun and deserve a lot more respect than most folks give them

Yeah I've read an article in a recent fly fishing magazine and am anxious to catch one on the fly this year, one of my goals. I'm getting a new rod next week and that is my first order of business with it. The article gives carp a great reputation as a very difficult fish to catch on the fly. I'm ready for the challenge!

Shamefully I admit that when I was younger I knifed every carp I caught. People told me that they were "trash" fish and I was stupid enough to believe them. After 40+ years of fishing I no longer believe there is such a thing as a "trash" fish. Every fish presents intellectual (and sporting) challenges to a thoughtful angler and must be accorded an appropriate measure of respect.

Even flathead catfish are suckers for beadhead woolybuggers but they get pissed-off when you hook them. I respect them for that.

Shuu wrote:
Shamefully I admit that when I was younger I knifed every carp I caught. People told me that they were "trash" fish and I was stupid enough to believe them. After 40+ years of fishing I no longer believe there is such a thing as a "trash" fish. Every fish presents intellectual (and sporting) challenges to a thoughtful angler and must be accorded an appropriate measure of respect.

Even flathead catfish are suckers for beadhead woolybuggers but they get pissed-off when you hook them. I respect them for that.

You are right Shuu. They are not a trash fish. There is no such thing as a trash fish. I prefer the terms fertilizer fish or catfood fish. :lol:

They are an invasive species, and you didn't hurt their population one bit.

They are fun to catch, especially on a fly rod.

You know if God only gave them a regular mouth they wouldn't skeef me out as bad.

Back