Carp flies

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

I have two new fly boxes to fill up, and my plan is to make them into carp fly boxes (one for Presque Isle and one for the Susquehanna watershed).I'd like some recommendations for patterns to fill these boxes

Snipe,

Back in November I posted a thread with a carp pattern I found on you tube. The thread is located toward the bottom of page 4 on the Fly Tying Forum and was titled "carp pattern". [d]I am not sure how to make a link to it but here is a photo of it.[/d] The thread includes the materials list that I used to tie it.

Carp Pattern Thread

Attachments

• Silt Sifter 1.jpg
    Silt Sifter 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
Lazy post here, but there's just so much on this guy's site...and they're all awesome.

http://www.roughfisher.com/search/label/flies

Sipe for the Susky Id tie up some crayfish imitations and some rust, brown,and black colored woolly buggers with dumbbell eyes on them so they ride hook point up. (Afishinado got me onto these)
I find in the Susky that the carp aren't too picky

Like cody said on the bugger with the dumbbells but I like to put rubber legs on behind the eyes. Holschlag Hackle Fly you can look it up. For a slimmer profile tie some clouser darters with rubber out the back with and across the body behind the eyes. Presentation is really key here. Good luck man their tough and test the skill in every way. Any bonefishey tied bass fly.

GREEN WEENIE, I targeted finning carp on the Shenango with a green weenie with my 7 ft 3 wt and hooked into a 24 inch freight train

This fly has been a top producer for me this year and last, especially when they're feeding on crayfish and nymphs in shallow water. Really simple to tie..

Front Hook: TMC 5262, I usually use sz10
Back: Same, or any other hook of the same length, cut the bend off
Tail: Brown Marabou
Body: Medium brown krystal hackle
Eyes/head: black bead chain, tie in so the hook point is up

The connection between the two hooks doesn't have to be super strong since you're not going to hook any fish on the back hook. Any light mono should do.

IMG_1011_zps0e43b999.jpg

I also use brown and black woolly buggers, buggy nymphs, and light colored egg patters(sucker spawn, glo bugs, etc.) with success.

lazlo: Huh.. I have three locations where I consistently target carp and the Shenango River is the one I fish the most. I've never gotten one to hit a green weenie there. Weird. I guess I need to fish them more..

These kind of threads are my absolute favorite on this site. So many good "working" patterns come out for us to see and try. Many are creations from the vise of the people right here on paff. I'd like to thank all of you for sharing your patterns with us, there are several other threads running current like this one and they're all good ones.

much to my pleasure, the latest issue of Fly Tyer has an article on carp flies...

Well, that works out pretty handy. Any good ones? Haven't seen it yet.

The Jan/Feb issue of American Angler had an article with 10 patterns also

I tied up a crayfish pattern for a buddy to test on small mouth for me. He and his cousin ended up landed in ton of carp on it. One was 35 pounds and broke his 8 wt orvis. GO FIGURE.

If you want the recipe and picture send me a PM ill be glad to give it to you. Pretty simple to tie.

lv2nymph wrote:
Well, that works out pretty handy. Any good ones? Haven't seen it yet.

there's one in there called the "Swimming Apology", their recipe was orange, but I also tied a bunch in olive and olive/brown because it looks like it'd also make a killer dragonfly/damselfly nymph too.

I must have a look see, I'm now intrigued.

The latest issue of American Angler has a list. You can probably check it out online. If you want the list email me and I will get you a copy.

Back