Careful out there guys

L

LongLineRelease

Anybody know any more details on this? It’s likely Spring Creek

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/local-news/charges-filed-after-two-shots-fired-at-local-fishermen/

Yeah that story was sorely lacking....hope someone can provide more insight.

Being shot at while fishing is nothing new.

Someone successfully returning fire would be a news story I would like to read!!

I couldn't open the link. But someone said it at Spring Creek, which I live near. Can anyone explain what happened?

Gentlemen, the police report is attached. MDJ is Magisterial District Judge and 49-3-02 is Judge Kelley S. Gillette-Walker.
Looks like two guys from eastern Pa. went fishing below The Paradise and someone shot at them from a nearby house. Extrapolating from the police report, when the cops showed up, the anglers reported someone shooting at them from a specific place. When the cops went and checked, they found the gun and spent shell (bullet casing, as the report says). A bit odd that they didn't charge the guy who fired the shot but instead decided to refer it. I'm not familiar with the Pa. system, but in Maryland it appears the cops left it up to the two anglers to swear out a warrant. I'm in favor of gun ownership rights, but shooting at people is still a crime as far as I'm concerned. Even if the anglers were trespassing, one crime does not make it ok to commit a second. And there's no reason to suspect the guys were trespassing.

Attachments

• Police_Report_PA-2020-512745.png
    Police_Report_PA-2020-512745.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 4
JimKennedy wrote:
Gentlemen, the police report is attached. MDJ is Magisterial District Judge and 49-3-02 is Judge Kelley S. Gillette-Walker.
Looks like two guys from eastern Pa. went fishing below The Paradise and someone shot at them from a nearby house. Extrapolating from the police report, when the cops showed up, the anglers reported someone shooting at them from a specific place. When the cops went and checked, they found the gun and spent shell (bullet casing, as the report says). A bit odd that they didn't charge the guy who fired the shot but instead decided to refer it. I'm not familiar with the Pa. system, but in Maryland it appears the cops left it up to the two anglers to swear out a warrant. I'm in favor of gun ownership rights, but shooting at people is still a crime as far as I'm concerned. Even if the anglers were trespassing, one crime does not make it ok to commit a second. And there's no reason to suspect the guys were trespassing.

"Charges to be filed through MDJ 49-3-02." What makes you thinks charges aren't being filed? That is the local magistrate that would have jurisdiction in the case and where the charges would be brought, by the PSP.

Benner Township doesn't have police service, from what I can see, to the PSP provide coverage.

Like I say, in Maryland (where I live) if the police leave without filing charges, it's generally left up to the alleged victim to swear out a warrant. Police usually advise alleged victims how to do it. I don't know the procedures in Pennsylvania. Charges may well be forthcoming.

You might **** off some people, here in central PA, when you say someone from Palmyra is from eastern PA.

GeneBeam wrote:
You might **** off some people, here in central PA, when you say someone from Palmyra is from eastern PA.

You might **** people off here in central, PA when you say someone from Harrisburg is from central, PA. LOL. Not sure how Harrisburg is central, PA. It takes about 2 hours to get from Harrisburg to Philly, but takes over 3 hours to get from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Then going from North to South, it takes about 50 minutes to get from Harrisburg to Littlestown, but takes about 3 hours to get from Harrisburg to Sayer. Love how Harrisburg radio stations call it central, PA.

It’s important to do what ever it takes to get a conviction in cases like this.

There was a landowner along the Delaware River (River Road in Stockport) that liked to threaten people and shoot guns in the air when he first bought the property and build a home. Turns out he had a federal permit to own semi-auto weapons, all I had to do was report gunfire and feeling threatened to the State Police and they paid him a visit, defanged him very quickly.

Mark C

Stockport is in PA too where folks can carry. No carrying in NY which puts the fisherman at a very large disadvantage compared to a landowner who has a weapon and knows the other individual probably does not

sounds like you are saying the landowner had a federal class 3 which allows one to own FULLY automatic weapons. I would think an issue like that involving the staties to pay a visit would be enough to lose a class 3 (they are increasingly difficult to get) but i am no expert on the matter

I make every effort to stay legal (no trespassing), stay polite (sorry to have upset you sir, I'll leave), but report.

Mark C

+1

I've never been shot at (knocking on wood) and I've been to some backwoods streams and such.

As someone who HAS been shot at and who has friends who have been shot at, I can tell you it isn't always about ownership which really doesn't give you the right to shoot at someone for trespassing...

...sometimes it is a not-so-subtle warning that someone for some reason doesn't want you around, whether they own the dirt or not.

It could be a favorite fishin' hole, they are hiding something or they are just full fledged A-holes who think scaring the $#!+ out of someone with a firearm is fun.

How you handle those situations is up to you, but putting manners on them one way or the other should be a priority.

MarkC wrote:
It’s important to do what ever it takes to get a conviction in cases like this.

There was a landowner along the Delaware River (River Road in Stockport) that liked to threaten people and shoot guns in the air when he first bought the property and build a home. Turns out he had a federal permit to own semi-auto weapons, all I had to do was report gunfire and feeling threatened to the State Police and they paid him a visit, defanged him very quickly.

Mark C

Interesting.

I never came across that landowner.
But there was a really nasty old fart who used to live on the river at the sharp curve just below the Delaware River Club property, on the NY side.

He used to come out and harass all the anglers who tried to fish in front of his property - boaters and waders.
He screamed and threatened me a lot. Called me just about every name in the book.

Rumor had it that he fired some shots toward a few people.
As mean as he was, I think that was likely true
Fortunately, I never experienced that.

Another reason to carry while on the water

timmyt2 wrote:
Stockport is in PA too where folks can carry. No carrying in NY which puts the fisherman at a very large disadvantage compared to a landowner who has a weapon and knows the other individual probably does not

You are allowed to carry in NY, Just not in the 5 boroughs. I have a few friends that have their NY carry permit. They are a little more difficult to obtain in NY and more red tape to get through, but you can get a conceal permit in NY.

I would never leave home without my 88 magnum- it shoots through schools.

Back