Carbon (graphite) Wading Staff?

S

Sylvaneous

I see they are all aluminum, essentially. Anyone have any information against carbon? I'm guessing it's the effect of scratching and wear at the tip end.
Syl

Graphite, when it fails, fails catastrophically. Lean on it hard the wrong way and it will shatter without warning. Aluminum will just bend a little long before it fails, and it's far less likely to fail in the first place.

I would never trust a graphite wading staff.

When Simms came out with their "Pro Fishing Wading Staff" made of carbon fiber, I bought one and was dismayed to read this on the attached tag:

“The strength of carbon fiber is compromised if the staff’s surface is dented, scratched, fractured, chipped or damaged in any other manner, which could result in structural failure”

How does one avoid scratching a wading staff? Every wading staff I own including one of last versions of the Simms aluminum wading staff is scratched heavily in the tip section. It is unavoidable when you fish a rocky stream. There is no way the carbon fiber won’t get scratched up as well and possibly even gouged somewhat by larger rocks.

So I asked Simms, should I be concerned or is this just a CYA statement?

They basically had no good answer for me so I sent it back. It had other design issues which also made it unsuitable for me so overall it was good decision to get rid of it before it failed when I needed it most.

I own four wading staffs and they are all aluminum, none has ever failed me and I want to keep it that way.

I see they are all aluminum, essentially. Anyone have any information against carbon? I'm guessing it's the effect of scratching and wear at the tip end.
Syl
Aluminum has always worked well for me - old ski poles. I've heard about the catastrophic breaking of carbon trekking poles under pressure and for that reason, plus price, have used aluminum.
Also I have seen photos of carbon arrows that "blew up" upon release of the bowstring sending carbon shrapnel and shafts thru the archers forearm. Carbon arrows need to be checked for spinters, cracks, etc after every shot. carbon seems to be great in fly rods altho I did have a rod just completely snap on a forward cast about 8" from the tip for no apparent reason, possibly a small nick I never detected..

THat's what I was thinking. Just wanted to run that past the group.

Back