Car GPS Naming The Streets

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Is it that big a deal if the unit doesn't do that? Seems there is a siginificant price jump to get that feature. Thanks for any and all input

dont ever have to take your eyes off the road..

Not if you have good eyes...my sister in law who just visited from Richmond got a Garmin Nuvi (something) and the selling point for her was the audible street names. She's a home healthcare professional and uses it a lot. If you can look at the tiny (her's is about 4 inches) screen to find the street name its not a big deal. But it will say "turn left in 100 feet" rather than "Turn left onto Smith road" on the ones that don't say street names. She said she got a good deal on hers but this is the time of year for good deals.

Thanks guys, great info.

mute wrote:
dont ever have to take your eyes off the road..

I've never used one of these things, but apparently they are becoming very popular. Someone tell me, are people driving around, then looking over, taking their eye off the road, to look at their GPS tablet?

I thought it was getting bad enough with the cell phone users. Now this!? (How much does a Hummer cost?)

I have a Garmin and the audible part is great. Yes, it keeps your eyes on the road and warns you before you turn. If you miss your turn, it recalculates for you. Best thing since my satellite radio.

my dad just got a $300 garmin for 150 a week ago and i have to admit they're pretty sweet. funny thing is he uses to get him to places he's been going to for years. his just has the turn in so many feet feature, but if you have the money id get the one with street names.

The best part is making it have funny accents. There's something about having a thick aussie accent order you around that I find amusing.

I don't understand the fuss, I travel all over the country, in places I've never been and I've been lost maybe once in my life. It might be different if I used it on backcountry streams, but I PA. you almost can't get lost even in backcountry.
And Yes Troutbert they are looking at the things and not the road. The ones I used were helpful and they had the voice instructions with them, but I didn't have to use it, I was trying them out in rental cars.

theres tons of high tech gadets that are not needed, same difference here.

Things are a bit strange here, I clicked post and a message was posted twice.

I also dont have to print out map directions, read them, worry about losing them, i can be calculated around traffic(which works and is awesome btw), Not to mention my gps is also my headunit, sooo yea.

Thanks to everyone, I don't mind getting lost, kind of fun at times, but the wife gets a little panicky if there is an arrival time set. Have enough fly fishing stuff, gotta fulfull the gadget craze though. I can see when traveling alone that street names would be great. Thanks again

Back