Car Camping: Who does it?

• Thread starter Off The Path Outdoors
  • Start date
Off The Path Outdoors

Off The Path Outdoors

Hi everyone! I took a few days of vacation the week of Memorial Day and spent 2 nights sleeping in my truck before heading to camp in Potter County. The first night I slept along the bank of Penns Creek and the second on the Little Juniata. The fishing was great and you can check that out below if you're interested!

In my opinion this was beneficial for a couple of reasons:
1.) I live over an hour away from good wild brown trout fishing. I like to get on the water early and fish until after dark. This means waking up around 3:30 and getting home around midnight which pretty much eliminates consecutive days of wild trout fishing. Sleeping in my truck solved this issue.

2.) It keeps costs down. Not paying for a hotel, Air BNB, or something along those lines is definitely a plus. It also saves some gas instead of driving back and forth which can add up pretty quick these days.

I'm curious how many others spend some nights in their vehicles? Or do you prefer a tent, driving back and forth, hotels (or similar), or just staying closer to home.

If you do car camp, what are some of your essentials? It is something I am hoping to do more of this fall.

What type of vehicle do you have? Do you have enough room or are you cramped? Keep a window opened or cracked for ventilation?

What type of vehicle do you have? Do you have enough room or are you cramped? Keep a window opened or cracked for ventilation?
I drive an F150 with a cap. I slept on the reclined front seat, but am wondering if laying on the back seat or throwing a mattress in the bed would be better. I was hesitant to open windows with the amount of bugs hatching on class A trout streams.

I have long considered it but after watching about 1000 videos and actually crawling into the back of my 4Runner I’ve decided my 6’ frame won’t fit comfortably. I have no desire to sleep in a tent at this point in life either.

Hi everyone! I took a few days of vacation the week of Memorial Day and spent 2 nights sleeping in my truck before heading to camp in Potter County. The first night I slept along the bank of Penns Creek and the second on the Little Juniata. The fishing was great and you can check that out below if you're interested!

In my opinion this was beneficial for a couple of reasons:
1.) I live over an hour away from good wild brown trout fishing. I like to get on the water early and fish until after dark. This means waking up around 3:30 and getting home around midnight which pretty much eliminates consecutive days of wild trout fishing. Sleeping in my truck solved this issue.

2.) It keeps costs down. Not paying for a hotel, Air BNB, or something along those lines is definitely a plus. It also saves some gas instead of driving back and forth which can add up pretty quick these days.

I'm curious how many others spend some nights in their vehicles? Or do you prefer a tent, driving back and forth, hotels (or similar), or just staying closer to home.

If you do car camp, what are some of your essentials? It is something I am hoping to do more of this fall.

What color Frenchies and what size do you fish the most? I've tried them and I don't do great with them. They gotta' be a good nymph because everyone uses them. I'm determined to learn to fish them.

I’m partial to camping in the woods within walking distance of the truck with lightweight camping gear (my backpacking setup- tent, pad and sleeping pad). The entire state forest can become your campsite and I don’t miss out on the whippoorwills, spring peepers, and barred owls like I would sleeping in the truck.

As an avid backpacker, car camping means sleeping in a tent or hammock near a car where you can carry everything in the car which means you have luxuries.
In many ways, I find this part of the trips (camping, cooking over a fire, having a few beers in the woods) to be as if not more enjoyable than the fishing

In many ways, I find this part of the trips (camping, cooking over a fire, having a few beers in the woods) to be as if not more enjoyable than the fishing
Sure. That is a major enjoyment of camping.

I have long considered it but after watching about 1000 videos and actually crawling into the back of my 4Runner I’ve decided my 6’ frame won’t fit comfortably. I have no desire to sleep in a tent at this point in life either.
Part of the appeal for me is just not having to spend the time setting up and breaking down a tent.

As an avid backpacker, car camping means sleeping in a tent or hammock near a car where you can carry everything in the car which means you have luxuries.
I don't really want to spend time setting up and breaking down a tent (I know it's quick depending on the tent. It just doesn't appeal to me). I am curious about the hammock though.. don't the bugs drive you crazy??

I’m partial to camping in the woods within walking distance of the truck with lightweight camping gear (my backpacking setup- tent, pad and sleeping pad). The entire state forest can become your campsite and I don’t miss out on the whippoorwills, spring peepers, and barred owls like I would sleeping in the truck.
That doesn't sound too bad. I may invest in some of that gear at some point.

What color Frenchies and what size do you fish the most? I've tried them and I don't do great with them. They gotta' be a good nymph because everyone uses them. I'm determined to learn to fish them.
I love a size 18 Frenchie with a pink hot spot under a caddis for native brook trout, but they will mostly eat anything. I haven't had a whole lot of luck on Frenchies for wild browns in the past, but on this day I was fishing a size 16 with a sulphur collar.

I used to sleep in my car when I was younger but nowadays this has little appeal.
I do still enjoy tent camping if the weather is nice.
I think I may have to give tent camping a go in the fall. In the spring I'm just too anxious to get on the stream quick and tend to stay long after dark fishing the hatch. I don't think I would want to mess around setting up and taking down camp.

No way would I sleep in the cab of my truck. With everything in life paid for and my kids grown and out on their own I prefer the comforts of a good hotel. I would be up for a nice mid afternoon nap in the back of the truck though.

I can't sleep sitting - that's roughing it IMO.
I'm perfectly fine sleeping in the back of my truck though, where I can lay down and stretch out.
Two self inflating pads help a lot.
And I'm honestly just as comfy there, as I am at home n bed.

As for ventilation, my cap has sliding windows with screens.
Gives some air movement while keeping bugs at bay

A lot more convenient than putting a tent up in the dark, and down again in the morning.
Especially if it's raining!

But the biggest plus - it keeps me mobile.
If the fishing was not good, I'm free to leave at a moments notice.
And move on to - hopefully - greener pastures

A lot more convenient than putting a tent up in the dark, and down again in the morning.
Especially if it's raining!

But the biggest plus - it keeps me mobile.
If the fishing was not good, I'm free to leave at a moments notice.
And move on to - hopefully - greener pastures
All of these are reasons I opted for the truck over a tent. The front seat was a little rough, legs kept falling asleep. I may look into something for the bed of the truck.

Oh yeah I definitely will be doing it more now. I recently acquired a 2nd Gen CR-V. That thing is MADE for camping. Even has a built-in picnic table in the back.

Oh yeah I definitely will be doing it more now. I recently acquired a 2nd Gen CR-V. That thing is MADE for camping. Even has a built-in picnic table in the back.
I owned a 2nd gen CR-V. Was a great vehicle and I even used that picnic table a few times. It had over 150,000 miles on it when I parted ways with it. Ain’t no way a Sasquatch is going to sleep comfortably in one of those things.

Back