Car Camping: Who does it?

• Thread starter Off The Path Outdoors
  • Start date
Certainly saves money and more convenient.

Used to camp out frequently, but I much prefer being comfortable. I won’t fish from 7am to 7pm anymore, couple hours here and there are plenty. So taking more time etc… is okay because my comfort is paramount.

I say this as I’m about to get my *** kicked on a 7 day horse pack trip , 6 nights on the ground and I have to pay a lot to do it- now that’s pain.

Don’t know if any of you have ever ridden a horse but I find it an unpleasant and painful experience I mean if it’s more than just a few hours.

I have slept in the car, but I don't like to.

As was said, "car camping" to me means tent camping by the car, as opposed to hiking in somewhere with everything on a backpack. This, I do commonly. Go somewhere for a weekend, set up a tent camp somewhere. Big arse tent, canvas, weighs almost 200 lbs, but vertical walls and being able to stand up in the whole thing is awesome. A couple of cots, which are super comfortable. Set up home base. And call that home for a weekend while you drive around and hit different stuff.

I have no desire to sleep sitting up. I have no desire to be in a tent I can't stand up in. I'm old enough that trying to change lying down is a problem! I tent because I don't want to buy a truck to pull a camper, plus a tent opens up considerably more options as to where you can go.

I may fish morning till after dark. But rarely on the same stream all day long. And rarely break free. Hit somewhere in the morning, take a lunch break, maybe hit up a brookie stream for a few hours in the afternoon, another break, hit the big stream for the evening hatch... I really don't have an issue with sparing a mid day hour to set up camp somewhere. I do find myself getting cabins more often. I don't find em more comfortable, my tent is plenty comfortable. Just less hassle. Less crap to pack, less crap to put away after the trip.

In my youth, car camping was ALL we did enduring the cramped quarters of the back or front seat of a sedan for the convenience and free accommodations.

Many multi day trips were taken to different streams and we would sleep in the car wherever we could find a place to pull off the road. This offered up more than a few surprises in the morning when the traffic picked up.

I also spent many nights sleeping in a car in relative safety at the end of Foxcroft Drive behind Charlie Fox's house, just inches from the Letort. We would join Charlie for breakfast in the morning at the Farmer's Market Restaurant.

Then there was close to ten years of entire 4 day Memorial Day weekends spent sleeping in my car in Vince's Meadow when there was gate at Spring Garden Street. That gate had a combination lock allowing those of us who had it, to drive right up to the pavilion.

I lived large in those days and would fish the Letort until after 10:00 pm, drive to a nearby store for dinner grub and head back to the Meadow to eat at one of the picnic tables, even enjoying a little mindless entertainment after bunking down on my small color Sony Watchman TV.

Keep in mind Vince’s Meadow is private property and you really WEREN’T supposed to be sleeping in a car so I tried to keep a low profile. Dinner was in the dark or with my lantern turned down when a car passed. I would get up in the morning when it was still dark to wash myself so nobody could see me from the road, followed by breakfast cooked on a small camp stove, all before sunrise.

Late nights, early mornings and tossing and turning all night in the back seat of a Delta 88 meant I was bushed by noon so I was usually taking an afternoon nap back at the meadow or along the RR tracks in Boiling Springs if the fishing slowed down.

I tried a few years of "tenting" at a local Carlisle campground until they disallowed tents and went back to the car before my wife finally convinced me to give the misery and start staying a cheap motel.

Ahhhh, those were the days!!

I have long considered it but after watching about 1000 videos and actually crawling into the back of my 4Runner I’ve decided my 6’ frame won’t fit comfortably. I have no desire to sleep in a tent at this point in life either.
I'm 6'-1" and sleep in my 4Runner. I use a cheap inflatable mattress that fits in the back w/ the rear seats down. I sleep somewhat on an angle to be able to fit, but I like it. I sleep well and like not having to tear down camp. The last time, I setup the back before I left my house w/ the mattress and bag laid out and went straight to fishing. It was awesome climbing straight in the back and going to sleep w/out having to setup camp.

As an avid backpacker, car camping means sleeping in a tent or hammock near a car where you can carry everything in the car which means you have luxuries.
X2 on luxuries

P1000240
P6251631
P1000238

I owned a 2nd gen CR-V. Was a great vehicle and I even used that picnic table a few times. It had over 150,000 miles on it when I parted ways with it. Ain’t no way a Sasquatch is going to sleep comfortably in one of those things.
I'm guessing that Sasquatches normally sleep on the ground in the woods - out in all the elements.
So, sleeping in a SUV should be an upgrade over that, no?

I owned a 2nd gen CR-V. Was a great vehicle and I even used that picnic table a few times. It had over 150,000 miles on it when I parted ways with it. Ain’t no way a Sasquatch is going to sleep comfortably in one of those things.
uh huh! Both rows of seats recline to a completely horizontal position! I tried it. Fairly comfy.

Also, did you know the well under the picnic table can be filled w/ ice?
I do not understand, quite frankly, why all cars don't have a built in picnic table. It's something I've used multiple times now, including road trips w/ my kids and dog. We stop for a bite to eat...don't want to go inside because the dog is with us, we park in the back corner of a lot, we whip out that table and the kids are good to go!

I’ve been car or truck camping for over 50 years now, beginning with VW Beatles, and all aimed at gettin’ to fishin’.

In those early days back in the 60‘s, I’d take the front passenger seat out of the Beatle, replace it with a cooler, fold the back seat down, put an air mattress and my sleeping bag on top, and off I’d go, sometimes for just one night, other times for up to a week or longer.

In between then and now, I’ve had a ”luxury” VW model 512 station wagon (equipped with a Porsche engine) a couple Ford Aerostar vans and a Ford Expedition (each of which had fold down rear seats to accommodate car camping), and a handful of full-sized Ford trucks, all of which have had caps on them.

474980CF 7C44 4DD7 A992 78EF7C246393

Here’s a picture of my current ride, in which I have made a 30” wide bed frame that rides just above the wheel wells, with plenty of storage space underneath for fly rods, etc., etc.

In addition to many nights spent in those vehicles across PA and NY, in both summer and winter, I’ve also made many trips from PA to MT (primarily), although for the past several years I have stayed in a cabin most of time after arriving In Montana

I have a new Ford 150 hybrid truck on order with Ford right now, with the aim of also using it for camping, or sleeping in while en route. I ordered it with a 2.4kw built in generator, fold flat front seats (designed for enhanced sleeping or napping comfort) and a number of other options. However, Ford recently deleted the fold flat front seats, plus several other options, on all truck orders that had not already been scheduled for production (my truck was ordered last December and still isn’t scheduled for production) so I’ll probably cancel my order and keep my present truck for the time being. I am thinking of getting a Hest memory foam mattress to replace my air mattress though, regardless of whether I keep my present truck or not, and will be off to Montana once again for the month of September, probably sleeping in my truck for 7 or more nights.

As was said, "car camping" to me means tent camping by the car, as opposed to hiking in somewhere with everything on a backpack. This, I do commonly. Go somewhere for a weekend, set up a tent camp somewhere. Big arse tent, canvas, weighs almost 200 lbs, but vertical walls and being able to stand up in the whole thing is awesome. A couple of cots, which are super comfortable. Set up home base. And call that home for a weekend while you drive around and hit different stuff.
This sounds pretty good to me if I was setting up camp for more then just a weekend. But it definitely lacks the ability to change areas/streams on a moments notice which is what I desire.

I'm 6'-1" and sleep in my 4Runner. I use a cheap inflatable mattress that fits in the back w/ the rear seats down. I sleep somewhat on an angle to be able to fit, but I like it. I sleep well and like not having to tear down camp. The last time, I setup the back before I left my house w/ the mattress and bag laid out and went straight to fishing. It was awesome climbing straight in the back and going to sleep w/out having to setup camp.
That sounds like a solid setup. I think I would like that better than sleeping on the front seat!

I’ve done all of the above at various times. Largely depends on the group I’m going with. Have buddies who like to camp, and other buddies who prefer the cabin experience.

Of them, backpack style camping is far and away my favorite, though it’s not always the best approach for many fishing related trips. It’s usually best for fishing a remote, otherwise difficult to access watershed with enough water to fish to keep you busy for a day or two. Honestly, there’s not THAT many places in PA where this approach makes the most sense from a strictly fishing standpoint, unless you enjoy the backcountry hiking/camping aspect of things too.

Most of the time a “home base” with a car camp or tent set up, hotel, or cabin is more practical and makes fishing easier, or easier to keep the priority at least.

As far as sleeping IN my vehicle (historically a couple crew cab Tacomas, and currently a 4Runner) I’ve done it several times, and get by ok with a front seat laid all the way back. Toyotas get knocked for having low seating positions, but it helps a little in this application. That said, it’s usually not my plan A. Happens more often when I arrive at my desired campsite and it’s either really late, or raining, or both, and I don’t feel like setting up a tent. But, I know I’ll sleep much better on an air mattress in the tent, so it’s usually worth pushing through the set up. Still sometimes I’m lazy, and don’t.

Last edited:
I have done a little bit of everything related to camping in pa. Agree with Swattie that for fishing, backpacking doesn't always make a ton of sense in PA. I have slept in cars and trucks, but find I sleep much better in a tent. I have multiple tents, a larger one for full weekend excursions with multiple guys or a larger backpacking tent that is quick to set up. The main drawback in my experience is when it rains over night and you want to pack up your tent right away and move to a totally different area. Then you are dealing with wet gear, potentially inside your vehicle whis is a recipe for stank. I can set my smaller tent up in a matter of minutes and it is nice to have more cooking and storage options based out of a vehicle as opposed to backpacking when on a fishing trip.

There are some really cool tarp/ tent options that can be attached to your vehicles roofrack and either extend off the side or back or both of your vehicle. Imo if you were going to do a lot of car camping this would be an option worth considering as well.

Happened to have taken a picture a while back.

View attachment 1641226257

Looks reasonable enough, I’m a similar height (6’0) and have thought about it in the back of my 4R, but my question for this set up is what do you with the rest of all your camping/fishing crap when you’re using most, if not all of the cargo area for sleeping? Not a big deal on dry nights to leave it outside, but what about on the chance of rain. It seems I rarely take a weekend long camping trip without at least some rain, or possibility enough of rain, that I don’t wanna leave stuff out.

Mt Fisher:

I'm also thinking about trying memory foam.
The mattress in our spare bedroom had a memory foam topper.
The little lady decided it was time to replace that mattress, with a better one.
And I saved that topper.

It is queen sized, and way to big to use in truck as is.
So I cut it in half, and will try it next trip.

Its still pretty bulky.
And will soak up water like a sponge it if gets wet - I do get a little water back there during heavy storms.
But worth a try. Memory foam is very confy

Looks reasonable enough, I’m a similar height (6’0) and have thought about it in the back of my 4R, but my question for this set up is what do you with the rest of all your camping/fishing crap when you’re using most, if not all of the cargo area for sleeping? Not a big deal on dry nights to leave it outside, but what about on the chance of rain. It seems I rarely take a weekend long camping trip without at least some rain, or possibility enough of rain, that I don’t wanna leave stuff out.
I've really focused on pairing down all my gear lately. Whether backpack camping, tailgate/tent camping, or car camping. I used to carry way too much stuff that was nice to have, but completely unnecessary. I've really minimalized what I take to the absolute bare minimum, and it's so much nicer that way. In the 4R, there's enough room beside the bed for a small yeti, small cooking kit, and my fishing gear. Just the essentials. My only issue with sleeping in the truck is getting in and out through the side doors.

Last fall I camped for 3 days (2 nights) in the rain up in Potter co out of the 4R. I actually liked putting up the tailgate and having a dry area to cook/get waders on etc. I camped out of it down in VA last December and it got down in the high 20's at night w/ snow. It does get cold in there so a good bag is needed, but no different than tent camping in the winter.

I figure there's some tradeoffs on space/comfort w/ the car camping thing, but the benefit is not having to setup/break camp. Just hop in and drive off. Much more mobile that way. If I'm going for 4-5 days, I'll take a big tent and all the luxuries. I look at the car thing as a good run-n-gun type option.

I highly recommend that you watch this guy's video. He is doing exactly what you suggest all over the country.

So are there specific places where car camping is allowed? I fish the Catskills a lot and was wondering the “legality” of sleeping in your car at the various state marked pull outs. I figure people mouse all night long, so cars must be at certain spots overnight.

So are there specific places where car camping is allowed? I fish the Catskills a lot and was wondering the “legality” of sleeping in your car at the various state marked pull outs. I figure people mouse all night long, so cars must be at certain spots overnight.
That's a big question of mine as well. I'm pretty sure car camping on state forest in PA is technically not legal. You can tent camp but not car camp. But I'm not sure of the potential consequences.

I have done car camping, but very differently now.

I went on my first canoe/camping trip many years ago on the Yellow Breeches Creek when I was in high school(Camp Hill HS 1977 graduate) and the bug bit me.

Acquiring everything I needed to make these trips better became an investment but well worth it. Too many great memories to complain about the cost of a very good tent, sleeping bags, stove, water proof bags, etc.

My 40+ year friend from Juniata College, who has been on most of these canoe trips said that we spend way too much time setting up/breaking down camp, and he was right. We started to just stay at the same campsite for two nights.

This made the most logistical sense on a difficult road trip to the mountains of West Virginia.

I was able to sleep on the bench seat of my 1985 Ford F-150. I sleep on my right side. I can crash on my back with an assist from adult beverages, but I always I always end up on my right side and can't really fall back asleep.

My car camping is very different today. I have access to three very primitive cabins@$15.00/night. All I need is the provided propane tanks.

I could stay at White Haven motels, but the cabins are such a bargin. I rent a storage unit in Blakeslee, which is great. Set up and clean up is really fast and easy. If I don't feel like cooking, I have dining options right there in Blakeslee.

In fact, I have everything that I need right there while cabining it up in the woods like two fly shops, three bars, a beer distributor, wine and spirits store, grocery store, etc.

Back