Cape May, NJ in July

elonDO

elonDO

My wife and I will be spending a week in Cape May (July 16-23). Would like to do some fishing if time allows. Anybody with much experience fishing this area? Any recommended guides if I want to go out for the day? I fish for stripers in NY from the surf, but open for just about anything.

Any recommendations or input will be appreciated. I did find an article in Eastern Fly Fishing from July/Aug 2015. Thanks for your help!

elonDO wrote:
My wife and I will be spending a week in Cape May (July 16-23). Would like to do some fishing if time allows. Anybody with much experience fishing this area? Any recommended guides if I want to go out for the day? I fish for stripers in NY from the surf, but open for just about anything.

Any recommendations or input will be appreciated. I did find an article in Eastern Fly Fishing from July/Aug 2015. Thanks for your help!

Dan Schafer Insomniac Guide Service out of Stone Harbor.

Dan knows the bay and will show you a great time.

He fishes out of a flats boat and specializes in fly fishing.

He books based on the tides, and a day out may end up being a night out on the water.

Give him a call.

Also check out Ray
http://www.flyfishingcapemay.com/about.html

I’ll be in Cape May later this month and plan to fish on my own. I need some advice on an outfit. What rod weight and what kind of line? Also any suggestion on a good mid priced saltwater rod would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'll preface this by saying I don't fish in Cape May. I do fish directly across the mouth of the bay a fair amount.

I use an 8100 Sage One with 250gr SA Streamer Express intermediate sink line in the bay. I also have a 250 gr SA Sonar full sink for out front and 8wt SA Expert Distance wf floating line on spare spools.

Edit: Don't forget a stripping basket and a good pair of aluminum pliers if you're new to the salt.

BC, thanks for the advice.

One more question, is there a Fly shop in the Cape May area or another place to buy flies?

boychick wrote:

One more question, is there a Fly shop in the Cape May area or another place to buy flies?

Some tackle shops have flies in them , but honestly i would save your pennies and get a guide they will put you over fish and teach how to catch them . I know insomniac in Stone Harbor is very reasonable I beleive it was about $250 last time I went out with him

Fredrick wrote:
boychick wrote:

Some tackle shops have flies in them , but honestly i would save your pennies and get a guide they will put you over fish and teach how to catch them . I know insomniac in Stone Harbor is very reasonable I beleive it was about $250 last time I went out with him

+1 ^

SW fishing is really tough in the summertime in southern NJ.

I posted about Insomniac Guide Service in one of the earlier posts. I've fished with him along with Fred, and know a whole bunch of newbie as well as experienced SW anglers that have had a great experience with him fishing the back bays in the summer.

Here is some more info about Dan Schafer from the Tackle Direct site: https://hooked.tackledirect.com/staff_trusted/dan-schafer/

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Or, for $250 you can buy a kayak and fish the back bays for the rest of your life. The main problem with fishing the back bays is access. Fish the moving tides, watch your water temps,,find some holes, be willing to fish according to the tidal schedule as well as fish at night when conditions demand it, hit the "sod banks" and creek mouths, in other words recognize habitat, and you'll be fine.

Mike, I know your post wasn't directed at me but I appreciate the tips. The back bays have been a bit of a mystery to me but I've scouted many spots that look "fishy".

Back