Can't hook em!

i had the same problem of not being able to hook fish.
i only have one thing to say"bluegills"!!!!!!!! they taste good, there everywhere, great practice. They straightened me right out.

tell me about it, there are tons of warm water fish down in this area the waters get warm really fast and the sunfish are out rampant. its funny you say that because it was the first fish i really caught and brought right to my hands was a small bluegill that took my fly like there was no tomorrow, funny lil' guys they are.

Pete is on the ball........widen the gap and offset the bend a little.....it's kinda the same principle as circle hooks....corner of the mouth hookup , tough flesh there , also minimal damage to fish and tippet , if you just squash the barbs down that little bump thats left will keep the hook in there , you will see what i mean when you try to remove it , keep em sharp too , i snatch up a few of my daughters emory boards (fingernail files , not metal sandpaper) try it all don't get dicouraged.......KEEP FISHIN.......GOOD LUCK

Got this tip from another thread here on the site.......I cut the tail shorter on my wooleys and seem to hook a bunch more. I just started fly fishing this year and got this tip here but it seems to work.

Back