Canoe for fly fishing

D

dropshot

Any suggestions for a canoe for fly fishing? I am thinking about a square stern, that could accommodate an outboard, but could still be paddled. Would like to be able to stand and fish with two adults. Needs to be light enough to portage into remote lakes and ponds. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Square stern truly and literally sucks when paddling. Get a side mount for a trolling motor.
You think the trick to standing is lateral stability, but you wait till you see how much the canoe moves forward and back with seemingly minor inertial shifts. Two adults standing, I don't think so.

Any suggestions for a canoe for fly fishing? I am thinking about a square stern, that could accommodate an outboard, but could still be paddled. Would like to be able to stand and fish with two adults. Needs to be light enough to portage into remote lakes and ponds. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
What you want is a raft.

I tend to agree with PennKev.

Any boat of any style that accommodates two anglers standing is really not going to be something you can portage, at least not like a canoe (on your shoulders for more than a short distance). Any canoe that allows for two standing anglers is going to have to be very long and wide.

Shown below is my fishing canoe - a 14' Mad River that I paddle with a kayak paddle. It can fish two anglers seated (barely) and I can fish by myself standing up (carefully). Even this boat is too heavy to portage for anything other than short moves around obstacles.

Attachments

• SAM_0199.JPG
    SAM_0199.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 16
As I am looking into this, I am intrigued by the Esquif Heron, Esquif Cargo and Meyers Sportspal S-15. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

My brother and I can stand and fly fish just fine in a 15’ canoe, but we’re kids so it’s pretty stable. I doubt two adults could even on a pond.

I stand and fish from my Mad River Explorer rx all the time. It’s ok for short portage, but if long walks through the woods is what you have in mind, look at the Kevlar version. If you want to have two adults standing and fly casting, you will want to consider an outrigger system. I have the spring creek system with the molded polycarbonate floats and really like it. Two can stand easy, can fish fairly easy, and can fly fish sorta ok. Really better with one on the paddle and one angler. The outriggers would need to be carried separately and installed at put-in, as it is a beefy set up. Friends have made some similar contraptions, but I like my system. I would recommend an open layout of a royalex/triple tough type canoe over one with molded seats and thin hull as you get lots of flex with two anglers.

If you decide on a square stern, the Old Town Discovery Sport (17 if you can find, or 15) is a tough little boat. Yes it sucks to paddle, but you can row it, or buzz around with a little motor. Not crazy stable, again, better for one on oars/tiller and one fishing. and not portagable-but maybe doable with a cart or dolly.

I am in the process of upgrading my canoe after seeing this video.

Guy's Canoe for Fly Fishing with Two People

I have started adding to my canoe and I am actually thinking about adding platforms to stand on that are removable. I am making stabilizers out of crab pot floats and some pvc that is removable and doesn't weight much.

Portage: I have done several 60+ mile canoe trips in the Adirondacks that has about 7 miles total carry (3X that aka 21 miles for carrying everything in two trips). My canoe is fiberglass and weights a bit. It's all about the Carry Yoke being balanced and I have always had to move them to center. I have attachments (Search Clamp on Yoke Pads like $35) that make it a ton easier.
I still think a canoe is the best tool for fly fishing over any kayak due to being able to stand and move. My back and legs scream when I have tried kayaks. I use to have an Aluminum Grumman canoe that was WIDE and 13'. I could cast all day standing on that canoe but paddling wasn't great but it worked out. Square canoes might as well get a john boat and call it a day. The square canoe is always HEAVY (Think over 80 pounds) and it paddles like a row boat.

A NATIVE Ultimate is 1/2 way between a canoe and kayak. I have one and have fished out of several. Easy to handle, lift, portage, carry, whatevs AND stand in. Easy to flyfish out of. Line often drapes over the thwart in mine and is better for feeding and shooting line than sitting flat on the bottom.
Syl

That looks pretty cool!

Get a nucanoe https://www.nucanoe.com/new-models/
Unless your a senior citizen if you have a problem moving these you need to invest your money into a gym membership not a canoe . Also allot of nice inflatable yaks and boats out there right now from NRS Hobie and bote .

As far as back soreness on a yak, it's all about the seat. A good sit on top yak with an elevated comfortable separate piece seat, it isn't an issue at all, I'd venture to say considerably more comfortable than any canoe I've been in. Like having a lawn chair on top. Important to be elevated, to have your feet below you in my experience. But the sit insides where you sit way low, or the cheaper sit ons with the molded in seats, yeah, they suck on your back and limit mobility in the boat a lot.

As far as standing. I have a Jackson Coosa (the original, not the HD). I can stand. But it's a tweener, when standing I gotta focus on standing, and I struggle to stand and fish at the same time. There are a lot of yaks where standing isn't an issue at all, you could do a little dance on them. But those yaks are heavier and slower to paddle and maneuver in water, they're approaching canoe slow, with a mini bass boat like top. People say, well, put a motor on them. Great for still water with no portages. But running rivers scraping the whole way, and having to portage around dams and such, uh, no. There are also smaller, skinnier, lighter, more maneuverable, faster yaks. You ain't standing on them and they typically have worse seats, no storage, etc. Like I said, mines a tweener that I think is the best compromise for me, there's a tradeoff nomatter how you look at it.

But yaks run the gamet from little whitewater play boats to might as well be bass boats to might as well be canoes, and everything in between. It's a very, very broad category. And I'm seeing more and more stand-up paddleboards decked out for fishing, even with posts and seats on top bass boat style!!! Plus all the inflatables now. On a lake I even saw a paddleboard with an outrigger pontoon for stability. Yak, canoe, jon boat, paddleboard, raft, personal pontoon. The lines are super blurry.

Wider is more stable, more comfortable, heavier, slower. Longer is faster, heavier, and less maneuverable. That's what it comes down to. Pick a width and a length for what you wanna do. Find one with a good seat. And call it whatever you want.

Last edited:
Dear dropshot,

You didn't mention a budget so I'm reluctant to suggest the Equif Rangeley as they are rather expensive. But the 17'er which is the largest, only weighs 125 pounds. It will take an 8 hp motor too, which is good because you definitely won't be paddling it. It does however row well from the center seat.

Like some of the other people I'd would suggest that you consider an inflatable boat of some sort. Many of the newer models have inflatable drop stitch floors that give you a rigid floor for standing and the design of an inflatable keeps most of the hull laying in the water at all times which greatly adds to their stability.

Good luck in your search and remember there is no one boat solution for fishing!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Look at the 14 foot sportspal (or Myers canoe, same thing). Portaging isn't going to be super fun over long distances, but it's incredibly stable. 2 standing is probably doable on flat water, but I've never tried it. I just bought a Hornbeck classic 12 for pack trips into ADK and algonquin ponds. At 18 lbs, that fits the bill the most for portaging/canoe tripping into remote lakes, but no standing, and it's a solo.

Sportspal:

97652991 269948934386993 5286323108867735552 n

Back