Cane Rod Repair Volant area

R

RileyDaniel

Was gifted a cane rod great shape. Need ferrules replaced and suggestions of people/ places locally to have it done. I am fairly new to the area.

Thanks,
RIley

Tim Zietak is in Pittsburgh. He's highly experienced and his work is excellent:

Check out Art Weiler, but he's in the Pocono Area.
Art Weiler

He does excellent work.

I have only had repair experience with Joe Balestrieri at Redwing Bamboo Fly Rods. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to him either. Very good work.

I haven't had any repairs done by Art Weiler but his rods are great. At one point I owned one of his Garrison repro's. Wish I kept that one.

I see you mentioned Volant. I have no experience with Chris Lantzy but I believe he's in northwestern PA.

What kind of rod were you gifted?

Last edited:
Montague 7'6 doesnt have a line wt

A lot of Montague rods had chrome plated brass "step down" ferrules that were pinned. If this is the type of ferrules your rods has, you will find it difficult to find replacements IF a restoration is what you are after.

How bad are the ferrules?

You might find the repair cost to be several times the value of that rod. Antique cane exists in a variety of quality and value levels from Heirloom on down to Tomato Stake. If you really want to fish it, the best option may be to DIY. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd look great above the fireplace!

I wonder if converting to splice joint is possible? Anyone have thoughts.....

I would advise against that for a lot of reasons, most notably because you could replace the ferrule(s) yourself a lot easier which begs the question again, how bad are the ferrules?

The are cracked both sides. Like someone forced the metal ferrules together

If they are the typical brass plated Montague ferrules those cracks can also be caused by ammonia which is commonly found in brass cleaners...

That being said, IF the fit is still tight enough to join the rod and cast it, I would do that FIRST before spending money and realizing you don't like the rod when it's repaired. If the fit is a little loose, rubbing the male ferrule with a small amount of beeswax (NOT paraffin) should tighten it enough to test cast.

Considering the vintage and that you can't find any markings it probably was designed for a 6 or 7wt line but it is what YOU like that matters so I would start with a DT5 and work up to a 7wt line and see what you think. If you love the rod expect to spend a couple of hundred bucks getting a new set of ferrules installed which is most likely more than the rod is worth.

Boutique bamboo rod builders will be the busiest and least interested in simple repairs versus full restorations so you might not get your rod back for a long time. They will also want the most $$$ because they would rather spend their time building & selling rods.

If that is an issue, don't be afraid to tackle the replacement yourself. There is a ton of info out there on removing and replacing ferrules.

Good luck!

Back