Cancelled an Oil Creek trip this weekend, what about smaller streams in the area?

H

Hikermick

It was a last minute decision this morning after seeing the Oil Creek guage shot up overnight. Could we have fished the smaller streams in the area? We've fished some before like Little Sandy and Pithole. Additional rain this weekend was a factor too.

It was a last minute decision this morning after seeing the Oil Creek guage shot up overnight. Could we have fished the smaller streams in the area? We've fished some before like Little Sandy and Pithole. Additional rain this weekend was a factor too.
Probably a good call. It's still raining across the NW region and the streams are almost certainly to be higher than they were prior to opening day. If it stopped raining right now, Little Sandy may fish after a day or two but you'd have to check it to know. There's various small/tiny wild trout streams in the region that will drop quickly and be fishable again soon, but it needs to stop raining first.

Thanks I feel better about canceling now. It's a few hours drive for us, glad we didn't waste our time.

I had some thoughts of going there to try and catch the Grannoms.
But I'm sure it would have been a wasted drive.

I'll get some chores done this weekend
And hopefully, something will get fishable next week.
Although more rain isin the forecast....

Two years in a row opening weekend on Oil was washed out. Now the second week is washed out too. Last Friday I drove about 5 hours down dirt roads in a three county area scouting class A waters to make something out of the weekend. Those waters do drop to a fishable level much quicker, but the fish were few and far between. I skipped heading back to the area this weekend, will give it until May to get levels back where they need to be

Back