Can one rod do it all?

paragon

paragon

The name of this topic is a bit misleading. So, let me explain a little better. As far as trout fishing is concerned, I'm pretty well covered, but my biggest rod is a 7 wt that I use for steelies in Erie. My question about one rod comes from an interest in expanding my targets beyond just trout. So far my interest has been piqued by saltwater ffing (most likely redfish in NC), salmon (most likely whatever I can manage on the Salmon River in NY), and musky. To further clarify, my 7wt is a single hand rod. Is it possible to chase all these species with the same rod/reel? I was thinking that if I added a 10 wt I would be able to handle everything, but since I have never targeted any of these species I have no real idea. Do I need a spey rod for Salmon? Do I need something more stout for musky than I would need for reds? Would the different casting conditions and distances make different rods a necessity? Thanks in advance.

The answer is yes....to all of the above.

I think there is generally one standard answer for these threads..."Yes. But to varying degrees of compromise."

Sometimes the right tool is a paintbrush, sometimes it's a roller, sometimes it's a paint gun. Can you paint the house with any single one of the three? Yes, but depending on what part of the house you're painting one will be relatively more efficient than the others for the task at hand.

I'd get about a 9 wt switch rod between 10-11ft.

The 7 wt could work for small reds in NC as long as you have anodized reel seats, etc to handle possible corrosion issues. The 10 wt is the go to rod for much of your saltwater applications for inshore species. It could be over matched with big reds, large striped bass, sharks or other fish, but generally you are OK. A switch rod would not be very practical for saltwater. Yes you can make long casts,but most of your casts will be shorter than 60' and a fast action rod does that best for accuracy, striking and fish fighting chores. I have tried a long spey type rod in the salt and find that too much line is out for proper line control and hook setting. Also, most of the rods are slow action or med action and are not the most efficient fish fighting lever you can use. There may be some exceptions, but not to my knowledge. I think Swattie hit the nail on the head with his analogy to paintbrushes, etc.
PS. A famous NC fly fishing guide claims that 10 wt rods come to NC to die! False albacore can do some dirty work on your gear.

I read on another forum that s guy fishes the northeast sakt with a five. He has a write up about catching and land a 20 pound bass. Pushing it I think so. The only reason to have a rod in the 10 wt range it because of wind and throwing bigger flies.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Toni, Swattie, and Montcopo, can you elaborate on what the compromises would be? Let's say I got a fast action, single handed, 10 wt. In my mind I would be good to go for saltwater, but I may not be able to handle the sink tips for salmon or the big flies and fighting muskies. Am I correct to assume that, or am I way off? Like I said, I've never fished for any of them. If I added a Spey or switch rod on top of that would I be covered with little compromise?

And here I was looking for a Lord of the Rings reference. Sort of like this:

"Three Rods for the Salmon-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Trout-lords in their brooks lined with stone,
Nine for lesser fish doomed to die,
One for the Speckled Trout on his dark throne
In the Land of Pennsylvania where the Shadows lie.
One Rod to rule them all, One Rod to find them,
One Rod to bring them all and in the darkness find them
In the Land of Pennsylvania where the Shadows lie."

paragon wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Toni, Swattie, and Montcopo, can you elaborate on what the compromises would be? Let's say I got a fast action, single handed, 10 wt. In my mind I would be good to go for saltwater, but I may not be able to handle the sink tips for salmon or the big flies and fighting muskies. Am I correct to assume that, or am I way off? Like I said, I've never fished for any of them. If I added a Spey or switch rod on top of that would I be covered with little compromise?

Hey Paragon,

A SH 10wt fast action rod should work well for saltwater, salmon as well as Musky fishing. Cast a bunch and find one that works best for you. Good luck.

Alnitak wrote:
And here I was looking for a Lord of the Rings reference. Sort of like this:

"Three Rods for the Salmon-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Trout-lords in their brooks lined with stone,
Nine for lesser fish doomed to die,
One for the Speckled Trout on his dark throne
In the Land of Pennsylvania where the Shadows lie.
One Rod to rule them all, One Rod to find them,
One Rod to bring them all and in the darkness find them
In the Land of Pennsylvania where the Shadows lie."

LOL Love your adaptation ...

A 10 will certainly do everything you're asking of it here, but as previously mentioned, with some compromise. Here's how I see it:

- A 10 can be a great musky rod, if the musky are big and you're throwing some seriously large flies. Otherwise a little too much.

- it's a lot of rod for most salmon (great for kings though)

- it's a lot of rod for most reds, except the big bulls

- you'll be a lot happier casting an 8-9wt for long periods of time

Trident,

Do you think the combo of 7wt and 10wt is too big of a gap? Would 7 and 9 be better? If I really fall in love with any of these disciplines, I'm sure I will get something(s) more specialized. I'm really just trying to get my feet wet here and expand my fishing horizons.

paragon wrote:
Trident,

Do you think the combo of 7wt and 10wt is too big of a gap? Would 7 and 9 be better? If I really fall in love with any of these disciplines, I'm sure I will get something(s) more specialized. I'm really just trying to get my feet wet here and expand my fishing horizons.

Paragon,

I assume you are fishing in and around PA. NJ shore for stripers and blues, the Great Lakes tribs like Salmon River / Pulaski for Salmon, and lakes and rivers in PA for muskie.

I use a 7wt for big river smallies and for steelhead in the Salmon River (or Erie), so your covered there.

I have 8's 9's and 10 weight rods to chose from:

For the stripers and blues at the NJ shore I've found a 10wt works best both on the beach and for jetty fishing. It casts the flies I choose and casts well in the wind. If you walked up and down the beach and asked any FFer you see what rod they are using, the vast majority would be pitching a 10.

As well, a 10wt would serve you well in the fall for kings and cohos with a heavy tippet. Latching on and landing those beasts quickly is important given the crowds and the size of most fish.

I also use a 10wt for muskie in my local lake and also in the bigger rivers to cast big wind resistant muskie flies that push water.

I've actually found it a lot more tiring to cast a rod (actually a line weight) that was a little too light for the flies I'm flinging.

Most important of all, cast a bunch of rods before choosing one. Everyone is a little different and some rods will work well for you while others may leave you frustrated.

Good luck with your search for a rod and good luck on the water.

Afish,

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Like I said, if I really enjoy one of these pursuits, I will certainly add more specialized gear. I'm just glad to know that I will be able to give them all a try.

Back