Can Material go bad ?

A

AndyP

I'm sure I will find the answer out by myself when I try it but I was wondering if material like peacock herl and hackle would go bad with age. I'm asking because I'm going to try to start tying again after a long, long layoff. I opened up the old box of material and will give it a shot.

In my experience, natural material tends to hold up well. Rubber synthetics, like "scud-back" latex and rubber leg material seems to become brittle after a couple years (I keep my materials in the dark but I'd guess that UV really speeds up the decay). I have some peacock herl and hackle feathers that seem to have become brittle and broke when I tried to wind 'em but I'm not sure if it was age or just a bad batch. Most of my hackle material is at least 10 years old and I have several Metz necks that are over 25 years old and the feathers from these necks are still fine. Some of my fur swatches are probably over fifty years old (trapped by grandparents etc) and the material still works fine.

Anyway, don't throw the old stuff away. Try some it and if, after a few tries it proves bad, then discard that particular batch or neck.....but don't dump all of it. Most of it should be fine unless moths or bugs have found it (I've never had that problem).

Now, that old jar of head cement? 'Nother story altogether.:)

It sounds like your stuff was in a box and out of the light not sitting by a window or anything like that,so by all rights you should be good to go. How's it look? Make sure you post some pics of your handy work. :)

i have old hoffman saddles/necks that are still good today

rubber stuff may deteriorate over time but who knows how long?

I agree with FishI the natural stuff , if stored with some moth crystals or balls hold up far better that than alot of the synthetic stuff. Exposure to light , natural light , affects synthetics motre than natural also.

I have some dryfly necks that are pushing 30 yrs. old. They are still ok. Used some yesterday.

GenCon

Ive noticed herl getting a little brittle after a few years. I dipped it in water and after it dried, it seems better.

Peacock herland pheasant tail dries out, I have some now in that condition. Perhaps putting the stuff in a plastic bag with a wet paper towell will revive it.

Andy - a dose of acetone will get even hardened head cement back into somewhat usable shape. I have several lifetimes' supply if'n you need some.

tl
les

I bought a bunch of those stripped quills, in various colors, for segmented bodies and while they are only a few years old they all seem brittle. I'll mail all of them to whomever PM's me first.

Years ago when I didn't know any better I would accept feathers and fur from guys who hunted and while at first they were okay most of the time the skin wasn't cured properly and they got bugs or worms (disgusting) and had to be discarded.

Other than that I have some necks that are oer forty years old that are still fine. Ditto for natural furs either on the tanned skin or clipped off the skin and in plactic stackable containers.

Back