Can anyone recommend a rod/reel combo?

Yotrout

Yotrout

A friend of mine who is looking to convert from spin is looking for a fly rod/reel combo to fish mainly the penny and the wiss with. He is looking to spend $200 on a combo. I am looking for a reel for a 9' 5wt rod and am looking to spend around $50. Can anyone recommend the best bang for the buck? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead.

Whoops! Sorry just realized i posted this under the wrong topic.

So is it 200 or 50 that you're looking into spending?

This topic has been discussed many times. Check out some older threads. If you're going cheap, then look at the clearance sections of the big box stores, or Walmart.

My friend is looking to spend $200 on a combo. I am looking for a reel for $50 for myself.

I thhink you can get a st croix rio combo for under or about 200. Comes in a pretty nice case too. The 50 dollar reel: I just bought an okuma slv 5/6 and I like it. Paid 60 for it and knowing me it can probably be found cheaper.

I just bought a 9ft 5wt streamlight ultra combo with the Double L reel from LLBean for 210 bucks. I love that rod. Dont get the streamlight reel though, that the combo usually comes with, its garbage.

Why do you think its garbage? Upon first review, its no different than any other machined-in-China reel currently flooding the market, but a friend of mine doused his in water, and its gone to crap. Gritty, locks up and useless in and out.

You have experience with it?

The the reviews all say that it locks up after getting wet. I do not have PERSONAL experience however sometimes it is better to learn from others' mistakes rather than your own. I also talked to the flyfishing guy at my shop and he does have personal experience with it, as do his friends; all have the same results. Anyway, for 30 dollars more (less if you buy as combo) you can get the Double L, which I do have personal experience with and i can say it is an awesome reel.

see for yourself

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68709?feat=2-SR0

gfenny - read the reviews on the Bean website. Apparently, there's a problem. The ones I've seen were really nice, but I didn't get to dunk any in water - yet.

They appear to be made by Redington. I'll get to play with some next weekend, and I'll get the skinny on this...

they even say plain old tap water freezes them up.

Guess that means I'll have him take it back.

You've got some monster goldfish in that pond out back, ed. I was testing out a line back there anc couldn't resist trying a little bit.

gfen wrote:

You've got some monster goldfish in that pond out back, ed. I was testing out a line back there anc couldn't resist trying a little bit.

Yeah, lots of 'em. They take the orange yarn we use for "flies". In 4 years of instructing, only one student saw that.

There's blugills in the drainage channel alongside the pond, too. The days I used to dread, with no students, are now welcomed. Getting paid all that money to fish is way cool!

I didn't see any of the gills out and about, but I did get a soft take in the big pond that I assumed was a gill.

Next time I steal the casting pond, I'll have to float an orange glo bug.

Back