Can anyone help with some trico Patterns

They will both catch fish. The top one is a little heavy wing wise but they look good!

Agree with Jimmy except I think they are both heavy on wing material. Top one use 1/3 material, bottom 1/2. I am perpetually removing wing material on the stream. I believe the less there is to reject the better.

Another idea put forth by Ramsey in his book is the tails look great but impart an excessive amount of microdrag. Think about it. The tails are 3x longer than the abdomen. This would certainly impact the drift which could be tough in slow frog water.

dubthethorax wrote:
decided to take a pic of the ones I've been making. This is the first time I've ever tried tying tricos so feedback on the proportions is appreciated. Both are size 24s, sitting on a beer bottle cap. Top one is egg yarn wing, bottom is flouro fiber. My hands are so big that I have a tough time with flies this small.

Is that cap from a bottle of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA by chance? My favorite beverage to tie with, although any DFH will do!

If you know any foresters or loggers in you're area they get this stuff all the time. They can tell you what to use.

jdaddy wrote:
Agree with Jimmy except I think they are both heavy on wing material. Top one use 1/3 material, bottom 1/2. I am perpetually removing wing material on the stream. I believe the less there is to reject the better.

Another idea put forth by Ramsey in his book is the tails look great but impart an excessive amount of microdrag. Think about it. The tails are 3x longer than the abdomen. This would certainly impact the drift which could be tough in slow frog water.

What is this book you keep talking about?

I was reading up on this mayfly and came on this..

"After mating, the males fall spent (Spent: The wing position of many aquatic insects when they fall on the water after mating. The wings of both sides lay flat on the water. The word may be used to describe insects with their wings in that position, as well as the position itself.) and the females fly to shore to rest while squeezing little green balls of eggs from their abdomens. They return in about half an hour and fall on the water to drop the eggs. They can fall spent (Spent: The wing position of many aquatic insects when they fall on the water after mating. The wings of both sides lay flat on the water. The word may be used to describe insects with their wings in that position, as well as the position itself.) or take off again for another round."

So could adding a green color to a part of the spinner pattern help?

i use snowshoe for a comparadun type and for the spent....been experimenting with the comparadun type where you tie in the wings like a spinner then pick them straight up like a post and do a couple turns like you would on a parachute post but not that many, then dub the thorax and done....they worked good for small olives 22-24 so we'll see.

RowJimmy wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

What is this book you keep talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Matching-Major-Eastern-Hatches-Selective/dp/081170730X/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310069606&sr=8-2-fkmr2

I've debated buying that book for a long time I guess I will have to finally pull the trigger.

Is that cap from a bottle of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA by chance? My favorite beverage to tie with, although any DFH will do!

I believe so (the cap was sitting on my desk for a long time), but I'm more partial to the 120 minute. I'm a huge hop head. Currently downing a bottle of Flying Dog's Imperial Simcoe Single Hop. 10%, 70 IBU. I'm in love.

RowJimmy wrote:
I've debated buying that book for a long time I guess I will have to finally pull the trigger.

I'll bring it Saturday and you can check it out.

I'm gonna give this one a shot!

http://www.umpqua.com/ps-1195-53-triple-wing-spinner-ellis.aspx

It has a much fuller wing than most of the typical, poly wing spinners.

pspaint wrote:

Imo when it comes to spinners especially size 18 and smaller most production ties and most ties in general have wings that are way to full.

RowJimmy wrote:
pspaint wrote:

Imo when it comes to spinners especially size 18 and smaller most production ties and most ties in general have wings that are way to full.

Agreed. Pointless. Double wing is too much, triple is way over. You want crinkled material that dimples the water surface. Have you taken a really good close look at trico spinners on the water? The wings are practically nothing. It's more of a reflection/dimple.

Agreed. Pointless. Double wing is too much, triple is way over. You want crinkled material that dimples the water surface. Have you taken a really good close look at trico spinners on the water? The wings are practically nothing. It's more of a reflection/dimple.

Yes, I have seen many on the water and the wing is much fuller in shape, than the hourglass look of a single tie poly/antron. I've done very well with a hen wing version and that too, has a wide profile wing. I'll let ya know how they work.

I would think that umpqua pattern is geared more to the western trico ... frankly I have tied and carry a number of differnt buts but
Al's Trico still catches most of my fish..
Bill A

Back