Camping spot near or on Spring Creek?

beadhead

beadhead

Looking for a place to pitch a tent near or on Spring Creek. Haven't fished the stream in years and not to familiar with the area around Paradise or Benner Springs.

There is no place to legally pitch a tent along Spring Creek.

There is camping at Bald Eagle State Park, including a "primitive" camping area. Google their phone number and give them a call for more info.

There are 2 campgrounds on rt 26, just north of the interchange with I-80. One is Fort Bellefonte, the other is a Bellefonte/State College KOA. Those are probably your closest options. Could be at the mouth of Spring in 5 minutes, probably 10-15 minutes for the areas upstream of Bellefonte. I have never stayed at either so I don't have a review. Generally private campgrounds cater more to RV's than tents, though.

Another private campground is 7 mountains, located on 322 on top of the mountain between State College and Lewistown. It's where we hold the jam. They are also a private campground that caters mostly to RV's (and people renting cabins), but they do have tent sites. It's probably a half hour from Spring Creek, but it is a nice central location if you have anything other than Spring Creek in mind. i.e. it puts you in a better location for a trip to Penns or the LJR, or the Kish/Honey/Tea drainages.

Public options:

Bald Eagle State Park has 2 campgrounds. About a half hour to the town of Bellefonte (closer to the mouth, farther to places upstream of Bellefonte)

Black Moshannon State Park has a campground. I've stayed here, and it's decent. Proximity to Spring Creek is nearly identical to Bald Eagle.

Penn Roosevelt State Park - rustic campground. no flush toilets, running water, etc. Tents only. It's a nice place, though, I like this better than having RV's everywhere. It's about 50 minutes to Bellefonte (few minutes closer to areas upstream, farther to areas downstream).

And, umm, that's about it, I think. The nicest campground in the area for tents is Poe Paddy. Remote, just rustic enough, and right on the banks of Penns. But it's a hike over to Spring. Because of the remoteness, you're kind of area committed to Penns Creek and some of it's tribs. Car camping permits can also be obtained for on the state forests. It's not a hard process. But you would be limited to the state forests, none of which are all that close.

Penn Roosevelt SP is nice. Quiet, well shaded, out there in the woods.

And from there you could fish Spring Creek one day and Penns another day.

I stayed at Penn Roosevelt last weekend. It definitely is a nice place, especially if you get a walk-in site. I imagine Memorial Day weekend is just about as busy as the place gets, and my girlfriend and I still had a tent site virtually out of the view of any neighbors.

I think we made it to Spring creek in under 45 minutes from the park.

I camped at the KOA campground for a few days last summer. it is pretty wide open and definitely caters to the RV crowd. It did have nice facilities but was not exactly my cup'o tea. It is, however, substantially closer to Spring.

You can always backpack in and camp in the Rothrock State Forrest as well.

Can you guys tell me if I'm crazy - I got a site at Poe Paddy - Love that place - and am planning on going up there early morning, setting up camp, then heading over to Spring Creek for an afternoon/evening. I was also thinking about hitting up Elk Creek Cafe on the way back to Penns. Then hitting Penns the next morning.

Too much driving?

raftman wrote:
I was also thinking about hitting up Elk Creek Cafe on the way back to Penns. Then hitting Penns the next morning.

Too much driving?

Elk Creek Cafe - in particular the Double Rainbow IPA - changes the game completely. Is there such a thing as too much driving for a day that includes what you describe? I think not!

it doesn't get much better than to kill a growler from elk creek while sitting at a campfire and dreaming about the next day's fishing!

I've done it, but not on purpose. Plan a trip ahead of time, and then Penns gets blown out or something. It's not too bad.

But if you're there, why not just fish Penns? It should be in good shape, I'd think.

Don't forget about Elk/Pine. And brookies for midday, as brown trout fishin on the big famous streams often isn't very good at midday on these swealtering summer-like days, but that's the best time for brookies!

The Elk Creek café is always a good thing. I'm not into the IPA's, though. Haven't met a single one I actually liked. I'll have a Brookie Brown Ale to start. Maybe a Poe Paddy Porter if I'm feeling like it, but most likely not. Then settle into a parade of Coppers as my session beer, thank you very much.

Man I'm getting thirsty.

The KOA is pretty nice, I've stayed there quite a few times. You ca make reservations online, but for the other you can't.

penn Roosevelt is one of my favorite st park campgrounds in pa, I love that it's tents only, keeps out the trailer trash!! ;-)
some of the best hiking in pa right outside your tent, fantastic mt biking, and some of the best fishing in the state only a short drive away.
I camp there at least a couple times a year. I love going there early in the spring, usually the only ones there, very quiet, very dark, awesome night sky without leaves on the trees.
ok, done talking about it, we don't want EVERYONE showing up there do we? LOL!
really, you can't go wrong no matter where you stay in that area, it's all good, the fishing is great, and the beer will be cold. enjoy!!

Geez bikerman...that place sounds great. I'm gonna lose it if I don't camp soon.

I'm going to have to second Penn Roosevelt. I really enjoyed my stay there a couple of years ago. Next time I head up, I think I'll go back there.

Back