Camp sites in Cumberland valley?

B

blakew510

Anybody know of any good campgrounds I could camp (with tents) that is near YB, big spring, and other streams in this area? I wish to stay at a campground this weekend and hit these streams. Not necessarily interested in hitting the letort spring though, my skills are still subpar.

Tulpehocken an option too.

There are quite a few around Gettysburg. 20-30 minutes to YB. I have stayed there in a tent before. Also on the other side of the mountain, you have Caledonia. That would be closer to Big Spring and a few other creeks. Going to be a hot weekend for a tent.

Caledonia State Park is very close to Falling Springs.
Pine Grove Furnace SP is closer to Breeches/Letort/Big Spring/Mountain Creek. Be aware that these parks are very popular and crowded on weekends in the summer, but I think their campsites are a bit less crowded. May want to give 'em a call to reserve a spot. There is also a private campground near PG called Mountain Creek Campground but I'm not sure they have tent sites.

Here in Gettysburg, we have a lot of campsites, but they are mostly for campers/RVs and the distance to the streams is further, about 40 min to Breeches and further for Letort or Big Spring.

If it were me, I'd definitely look into Pine Grove Furnace SP.

Sasquatch wrote:

Tulpehocken is too warm for trout.

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. Lol

krayfish2 wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Tulpehocken is too warm for trout.

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. Lol

Come on! Someone got a temp of 69.5 degrees at the mouth of Cacoosing Creek before day break today! tricos! 8x tippet!

Wrong Sasquatch!

TCO website says tricos are on and it's 65 degrees so it's good to go!

54 cfs!! Wow. The fish have to lay on their sides to just stay wet.

Cold water reserves lasting longer this year?

the north is bad - kettle at crossfork is 8.4cfs
pine at cedar run is 36cfs and avg is 147cfc

I don't trust that temp.

Yesterday I was looking at the USGS for Bernville (when I posted this comment). As you can see, the temps were low to mid 70s:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01470779

Cold water lasting longer due to our abnormally wet spring and summer

Cold water lasting longer due to our abnormally wet spring and summer

Yeah, definitely thankful for that extensive snowpack we enjoyed last winter.

And I'll second Dave's suggestion of camping at Pine Grove Furnace, darn nice spot. Close commute to some damn fine water within 30-45minutes in most any direction and two nice cool lakes to swim in during the heat of the day.

Back