Calling salt "fin"attics

Once again Hilarous! Totally random.

I believe that in one of those pictures (7th from the bottom) is Bob from International Angler (fly shop Pittsburgh area).

How funny! I was'nt exactly sure about it- but upon my second look I noticed that his fishing partner had a Penguins hat on- and that sealed it for me.

I am amazed how small the world is.

Paul, that proves nothing. He could just be a run of the mill idiot pens fan.

jayL wrote:
Paul, that proves nothing. He could just be a run of the mill idiot pens fan.

NICE !!!!!!

The Pens are getting players back now and I see your team is on a downward slide. Keep dreaming.

Nonetheless- my needle in a haystack still stands.

Jay- you would be better severed in those general threads where people ask for fishing spots. You could be a fish pimp.

acristickid wrote:
I don't know how these guys do this stuff in kayaks- the standing part. Guess you just get used to it.

I have a hard time just standing in the streams sometimes.

Anybody do the standing casting?

Just saw this kayak. It has retractable outriggers so you can stand up in it. Very clever and it looks great, but price not listed.

http://www.kayakangleronline.com/component/content/article/415-freedom-hawk-kayaks.html

Afish- no lack of gadgetry, huh?

Became aware of these types of things a week or 2 ago on the florida sportsman site. On that site, these types of things got mixed reviews.

I can see that it might be benefical if you lived on water where you could really get alot of use out of it and or practiced enough where you could become good at it.

Just don't think that standing up thing is for me- plus once you drop $3000 on the boat and accoutrements it starts to get prohibative. Plus the wind and tides are going to have a say if one will be able to stand anyway.

Again, if I lived on a canal or close by to the bays in Florida I would own a fishing kayak. I like being able to get around to spots-then getting out and wading.

Flyfishing goes on forever!

I bought a Hobie Maui yak second hand, really cheap. Put a decent seat, a fly rod holder, a spinning rod holder and an anchor into it. Only used it locally twice. I take it to the beach and to my in-laws who live on a lake in Va. We have a sound side house this summer so I hope to get a lot more use than usual out of it. This is like mine but mine is orange. Some guys have theirs so decked out they look like they should fly.

Attachments

• 353.jpg
    353.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 4
Salt water fly fishing is under utilized. It is a limitless horizon for me. I look forward to learning more about it- and look forward even more to catching some darn fishes.

Akid, have you bee over to the http://outerbanksflyfishing.com site?

He has a ton of info and the forum there is great.

I'm getting one of these

Tom- no. Thanks though.

I have been perusing the floridasportsman website. It has more local info- since that where I have been going to fish.

They have flyfishing topic- though it is not that busy. The archives have been mopre helpful.

That Ultimate Native seems to be very popular on the florida site.

No doubt you can access much more water with one of those- I would rather paddle then get out in wade I think.

Anyone- use the two handed retrive? Put the rod under your arm and use two hands.

A-kid,
The two handed retrieve is pretty much standard for northeast FFers, although it is used less down in FL and points south. If you look closely at the photos on the recent report I posted on the Jersey surf, you can see Frederick and I both fishing with this retrieve.
It was a surprise bumping into you on the FL Sportsman forum - I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how fascinated you are with salt FFing. That forum is, I think, one of the largest (if not THE largest) fishing forum on the www. There are some very experienced salt FFers there who really know their game. I post on that site on occasion, usually when I'm gearing up for a trip to the Keys.

FI- ha yea.

I get enough high blood pressure here without getting into those tangles on that site. hehe Have to look more closely at the pics.

Another question-

Why is it that people use a somewhat tapered leader with a shock tippet that is much larger diameter toward the end? I mean I know it is to reduce cuts and abrasions on the leaders but why not just have the whole leader a large diameter?

I guess the spook factor. But that seems counter intuitive because the last section of the leader is the largest- does'nt that spook them?

The more I find out the less I know.

Paul this is Dave doing a two handed retrieve in perfect form
IBSP003.jpg

A shock tippet is heavier than the preceding section of tippet to ensure that there is a "weak link" in the overall leader that is less than the breaking strength of the backing. Think about it: If your shock tippet is 50lbs and the rest of the leader is just as strong, and your backing is 30lb test - when a big fish runs off into your backing and you break him off, the break will occur in the backing and you'll lose your entire fly line. Always ensure that your leader has a section with a lower breaking strength than your backing. This also true for snags. If you snag the bottom and you have a tippet without this weak link, you risk breaking off the entire fly line or shooting head rather than just losing the fly and shocker. All my salt fly reels have 30lb backing and I always have leaders with a section maxing out at 20lb test (or less). This weaker length of leader usually precedes the shock tippet and is known as "class tippet." This is a term not often used in freshwater FFing because most fresh guys don't use shock tippets. Most salt guys use a class tippet of 20lb (this is the standard for most tarpon fishing) as the International Game Fish Association has decreed that in order to be considered FFing by the "rules" all leaders must have a class tippet that maxes out at 20lb test. Of course, one can certainly deviate from this (and some shark and tuna guys certainly do) but 20lb has become something of the standard for salt fly fishing.

A-kid,

um...what he said. ;-)

- Mike

FI-FS

That makes perfect sense! Just never dawned on me to think of that.

I have fished quite a bit (limited salt, steelhead, all kinds of trout, largemouths) and have yet to really be into my backing. Okay last year one steel ran it out into a couple feet of backing but I ran down the bank after him and reeled him in.

Look forward to getting into my backing.

Do you guys get into your backing? If so, how often? Any particular species that does that regularly- beside Tarpon?

By the way FS, I got to see your first responce- Thanks!

Paul,

Salmon river next fall. We'll go way down low where they run back to the lake when hooked. You'll see your backing.

Back