Caddis Flies hatching now

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I am looking for some information on the caddis flies that are hatching now in central PA. I've seen them on both Lycoming Creek and Fishing Creek. They are mostly a larger caddis ranging from a 14-10 in size and appear a darker gray. Never seem to be able to catch one but they definitely seem to fly pretty. I am guessing some kind of sedge but wondered if anyone could post a picture or tell me what these are. There have been tons of them at times the last 2 weeks.

Did they look like these?

http://www.troutnut.com/common-name/283/Dark-Blue-Sedges

Yes thats probably them! Thanks!

Size 10 or 12 peacock caddis dry will hammer fish when those are hatching, caught my biggest dry fly browns on that pattern. They often hatch around the time of the green drakes

Dark blue sedges are out on Fishing Creek, Lycoming Creek, Loyalsock Creek, and Muncy Creek. They are all size 14.

The wings look size 6, but the underbody is 14. There is a reference picture of the sedge tie I used to hammer them a couple nights ago.

EDIT: Link won't work. Reference Muncy Creek, 6/7/2015 in the stream reports. Fish won't take them until about 8pm, then you better hang on!!

I found your post...thanks for the help!

Back