caddis box

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Tied these up as part of an auction to benefit a young baby with some birth complications.

This side of the box is all caddis nymph patterns.

The middle row is a highbred of the peeping caddis and a caddis pupa. I wanted to try some of these out and yesterday the wild browns were just on them.

You can see a bit of the hybrid fly in the larger browns mouth. I am addicted to that caddis pupa type pattern now for some reason. Fun to tie, and look cool. Not sure if the horns make any difference but I like how they look.

I tied a few with ruffed grouse, turkey and squirrel that I harvested myself.

Thanks for the look. If anyone wants the recipe to any of these let me know.

Not sure if that hybrid type has ever been tied but it just popped in my head. I sat down and tied it and the first fish on it was that nice brown.

Not bad from escaping from the wife and crazy kids from 3:30-4:30 yesterday. :)

Attachments

• caddis box.jpg
    caddis box.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4
  • caddis box2.jpg
    caddis box2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 3
  • caddis larva-pupa.jpg
    caddis larva-pupa.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 4
  • sculpin.jpg
    sculpin.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 3
  • wild brown 2.jpg
    wild brown 2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 5
  • wild brown 3.jpg
    wild brown 3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
  • wild brown 4.jpg
    wild brown 4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
  • wild brown 6.jpg
    wild brown 6.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
  • wild brown 7.jpg
    wild brown 7.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2
  • wild brown 8.jpg
    wild brown 8.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2
  • wild brown1.jpg
    wild brown1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3
Forgot to mention that I snagged a sculpin somehow. Guess I was nymphing deep enough. LOL!

Seeing the picture of the sculpin begs the question: Is it a Mottled Sculpin or a Slimy Sculpin? Depending on the drainage basin, my guess is a Slimy Sculpin.

I like those patterns with the chennile, I'm guna have to tie some of those up.

I have a fly box like that. Think I've been loading my flies in backwards based on how you put yours in Mike. Kind of makes sense to push the bend of the hook into the "v" in the foam. Hmmmmm

Mike great looking flies. I am going to be the guy to request the recipe for the caddis pupa hybrid.

McSneek wrote:
I have a fly box like that. Think I've been loading my flies in backwards based on how you put yours in Mike. Kind of makes sense to push the bend of the hook into the "v" in the foam. Hmmmmm

You may have been loading them backwards. Pushing the bend of the hook into the 'V' means that you shouldn't wear the foam out since the hook point isnt digging in. The only time that loading this way is difficult is with tiny #20, #22 or smaller hooks.

If I get to the vice tonight I'll try to take step by step pics, but that's a big IF. Lol

mike_richardson wrote:
If I get to the vice tonight I'll try to take step by step pics, but that's a big IF. Lol

No rush I know those kiddos keep you busy.

Mike, I would also like to request the recipe for your caddis pupa hybrid. That is a great looking fly!
Thanks, Tim

Nice! I haven't had a day like that on a trout stream in quite a while. I've always seen those peeping caddis patterns, but never have gotten around to tying them. Might have to do that before my next outing.

They are my new pheasant tail as far as go to fly. But I like them tied with merriams turkey feathers the best. Kind of like a grannom.

IF you fish the first fork of the sinemahoning don't let your feet touch the water without them.

Back