Cabin Rentals in State College Area

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

This thread may get moved...not sure where to post it. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a nice cabin rental for the State College area. The place would need to be big enough for 5 adults and 5 kiddies. Looking for a week-long rental for June of 2017.

If anyone is familiar w/ the Kettle Creek Cabins up in Oleona, we're looking for something similar in size/accommodations, though I think my parents would be open to more "modern" accommodations, such as wifi and cell phone reception. Thoughts/opinions on where to start?

I knew someone was gonna do that... ;-)

Looking more for "personal experience". I'd rather hear feedback from you guys than read a bunch of google reviews.

Sas,

There are cabin rentals at Lake Perez off off Route 26 in northern Huntingdon County. Not sure how many each sleep but there is at least a dozen of them. It is run by Penn State University. Half hour ride to Spring, Spruce and Little J and 45 minutes to Penns.

I'm not sure what price range you're talking, and what you want to be close to, exactly.

There's always 7 mountains! Either 2 or 3 of the little cabins or combine with the more house-like stuff they have.

But other than that, the only experience I have is Black Moshannon.

Price range somewhere around $1000-$1300 for the week.

As far as what we want to be close to, my dad and I are the only fly fishers in the family, so having a ton of streams w/in a 20-30 minute drive would be great. Something closer to Tea, Treaster, those valleys up in that area. I don't the area THAT well, but being close to Penn's isn't super important. I'm not a big water-big crowds kinda fisherman.

I thought about 7 Mountains.

+1 on the Ski Lodge at Black Moshannon, but you won't meet your parents' creature comforts desires of Wifi and cell phone service (depending on your provider; I could get a weak signal at the far corner of the parking lot). That cabin also only technically sleeps eight - one queen bed in one room, two single bunks in another room, and one single bunk in a third room. There is plenty of space for sleeping bags for the kiddies on the old lodge floor. But depending on how your ten people fit together, the rooms there might not work out.

Consider renting two of the modern cabins at Black Moshannon. Or three of the rustic ones.

The cabins out at Stone Valley are rustic. There are a number of lodges there, but I think they are more for day meetings. But the Civil Engineering Lodge mentions mattresses being available for up to 20 people, if you happen to be there in the winter, when the unheated cabins would probably be pretty cold. More info: http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/campusrec/stonevalley/sv_home.shtml

No personal experience, but I have driven past this on a number of occasions: Black Moshannon Lodge. Bedrooms could be an issue, unless you stick the kiddies on the floor.

My parents don't NEED those creature comforts, just saying that having those available won't disqualify the place.

There is a KOA right off of the Bellefonte exit on 80. They might have something. I have never stay at a KOA though and I don't really have any intentions to.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
As far as what we want to be close to, my dad and I are the only fly fishers in the family, so having a ton of streams w/in a 20-30 minute drive would be great. Something closer to Tea, Treaster, those valleys up in that area. I don't the area THAT well, but being close to Penn's isn't super important. I'm not a big water-big crowds kinda fisherman.

I thought about 7 Mountains.

Took a hike off of some trails along treaster road last year on labor day weekend. Really secluded, really fun. Can't comment on the fishing though.

Black Moshannon State Park.

As far as what we want to be close to, my dad and I are the only fly fishers in the family, so having a ton of streams w/in a 20-30 minute drive would be great. Something closer to Tea, Treaster, those valleys up in that area.

In June, especially if it's middle to late June, I think Black Mo is a better fishing location than is the Tea, Treaster area.

Tea, Honey, Kish, Penns, even Treaster to a large extent are brown trout streams. By mid-June, assuming typical June weather, they're gonna really be right at dawn and dusk affairs.

Of the big name brown trout streams, in June, I'd pick Spring and BFC first. Black Mo is closer to Spring, and no further from BFC than the area you're talking.

In addition, what does fish well in the daytime in June is small freestone brookie streams. And Black Mo has more of that around it than does your area further south. You've got a few right around that area, in the Black Mo watershed as well as ones that run into the W. Br., and it's not that far of a hike north to get into much, much more. To put in perspective: It's about an hour from Black Mo to Renovo or Sinnemahoning. It's about an hour from State College proper to Poe Paddy.

Keep in mind that the streams are low and we might be heading into a drought. The longer you wait to take this trip, the worst the fishing will get. The small streams might not get too warm, but they might get really low with poor fishing conditions.

TYoung wrote:
Keep in mind that the streams are low and we might be heading into a drought. The longer you wait to take this trip, the worst the fishing will get. The small streams might not get too warm, but they might get really low with poor fishing conditions.

June 2017 is what month he is targeting. Hard to say what next year will bring :)

+1 for the bellefonte KOA.

a little outta budget, but looks REAL nice, http://www.inglebylodge.com/

just outside milheim, but not very "woodsy"
http://countryvacationcottages.com/cottages/

and another
http://www.woodwardcave.com/guesthouse.html

I've not stayed in any of these places, But I always found them interesting.

Fort bellefonte campground. Have dinner at Bonfattos.

Back