Cabelas Rod Line Up Change - Winston & Loomis

I believe the Diamondback "Glass" are in the $300 range. Just because a flyrod is made with fiberglass does'nt make it cheap. These rods are not your daddy's fiberglass rods. I have the old "Diamondglass" 7'6" 2pc. 3 weight. I love it. Very smooth! I hope the new ones are as good. Anybody have any idea on the Cabela's glass rod price?

Anybody have any idea on the Cabela's glass rod price?

No but I have a sneaky suspicion that Cortland may be behind those blanks given Cortlands propensity to supply fly lines, etc under the Cabelas brand.

i am interested in the 10' czn 5wt from cabellas . might pull the trigger pretty quick too !

They sent the new catalogue to me, the glass rods aren't in there, but Winston's has a pretty big deal made about it.

Also, the LST has been augmented by an LSI line, which seems to come across as even faster. Meh.

I see the LST switch rods are back, though.

Also, the LST has been augmented by an LSI line, which seems to come across as even faster. Meh.

If you check out the 50% off pricing of the LST, I am pretty sure the LSI is a replacement rather than augmenting the LST. Besides, what do you care? You regularly pissed on the LST anyway (note fished mine yesterday in the windstorm and found it quite enjoyable . . . see I am not just a Winston snob).

I care because I strive to help others find quality bargins?

No, the LST line is back, full force, in the new catalogue.. I assume what actually happened was a new provider of blanks or other materials neccessicated a purge of NOS so the new makers LSTs could hit the floor en masse.

The LSI is a wholly seperate, and less extensive, line claiming to have "more lien speed" and "smoother, faster actions"

I didn't like my LST. I have brand snobbery regarding Cabela's, but I do own an XST (crap!) and an LST switch (meh, but I think I'm meh on the switch rod thing because I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with it, and don't have a real line).

Times are tough?

I just got my cabelas mag yesterday and agree lst appears to be continuing. Not sure why they have them half price last few months but they are a great deal at that price.

jdaddy wrote:
The NRX reminded me of the St Croix Legend Elite, just ugly. I like the flat matte finish of the NRX (kind of like the St Croix Ultra) but why the baby blue wraps? Ugggg.

I was just talking with a bud of mine about this today. He commented that he'd seen one in person, I have only seen pictures. We both agreed that they are butt ugly! Loomis makes some absolutely beautiful rods, I really like the GLX for example. The baby blue wraps on that rod make it look just awful. Sorry, but if i'm going to spend that much on a fly rod, I've obviously got expectations as to the performance but also expect the rod to be asthetically appealing.

My dad and I are in Pulaski steel fishing and to waste time last night we went into Fat Nancy's. He was stunned at $300 rods (I will kill anyone who tells him how much Winstons msrp for!) so I wanted to flip him out and show him a $1050 NRX spay. Not only was it ugly with the blue wraps but the wrap at the cork was absolutely terribly done! Not impressed at all. Should have taken a picture.

I don't care for Blue either but I bought a Sage VT2 9' 6 weight. As many of you know it is cataloged as "Blue Ribbon Blue" I love the way the rod cast and I really enjoy fishing with it. The color has kind of grown on me. It's not really that bad.

I don't care for Blue either but I bought a Sage VT2 9' 6 weight. As many of you know it is cataloged as "Blue Ribbon Blue" I love the way the rod cast and I really enjoy fishing with it. The color has kind of grown on me. It's not really that bad.

No comparison between the appearance of the VT2 and NRX IMHO. The V2T is all Ribbon Blue or some variation of it whereas the NRX is matte black with baby blue wraps. Unless you're a UNC fan, I can't fathom thinking that this rod is asthetically pleasing. Performance is not in question, I'm sure it's typical Loomis quality.

As far as the VT2 goes, that's a nice rod for the price but my opinion on it is far less important than yours since you own it lol.

Tha VT2 performs and looks as good as some of the high end Sage flyrods. As I said the color really is not bad. I like Loomis flyrods too but that NRX really does sound like an ugly duckling. For that kind of money I would want looks and performance.

jaybo41, is that a "Sage" SLT in your avatar? If so that is a good example of what I'm talking about. I have both and fish them about the same amount. They are both really nice.The VT2 is less costly than an SLT but still very good.

It's actually a TXL, not SLT. Nothing wrong with the VT2, but then again I am a Sage hound lol.

Unless you're a UNC fan, I can't fathom thinking that this rod is asthetically pleasing.

"That ain't Carolina Blue. God saw Carolina Blue and decided it would be a good color for the sky", said the hilljack from North Carolina.

jaybo41, the TXL is a great flyrod. I have other brandname rods too but I seem to fish with my Sage rods the most. I guess I'm a Sage hound too LOL.

Back