Cabela's LST rod and LSR reel... anyone else trying one?

sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

After snapping off the top 2" of my favorite Sage RPL just prior to heading to the Catskills, I was scrambling for a new rod. I drove to the Hamburg store and demo casted a 9' 4pc 4wt. It was light, fast and handled line pretty nicely. I got suckered into matching it w/ a LSR large arbor reel and some 444SL. Total package was around $270. I had read some pretty bad reviews on the reel and was hesitant to buy it. So far, so good. I broke the rod at Penns Crk and drove back to the store and they replaced it... no questions asked. Unfortunately, the replacement rod is a slower action and I don't like it as much.

Wait till you dunk the LSR. Cabelas will replace stuff with no questions asked though.......

That doesn't sound promising. What happens? Free wheeling or locks up? Either way... not good. There was a huge difference between the first and second rod. I would buy 3 more like the first and 0 like the second.

It locks up, it usually gets better with a thorough drying, but lets just say its runed more than one day of stealhead fishing. I've actually found their prestige plus reel to be the most reliable. I have a cableas visa so I get a lot of "free" stuff from them.

Most of their stuff is high quality, and their service is A++++++.

I bought the 8'6" 4wt LST and LSR earlier this spring. The rod felt good to me in the store, the reel just looked pretty. :)

This is my second year fly fishing, so my experience isn't very extensive, but moving from the Redington combo I used last year to this one seems like a night and day difference: it feels good to me, and my casting has improved drastically, which I believe I owe in part to the rod.

Both of my lsr's squeal, but no lock up when wet. My biggest beef is start-up inertia. It is ridiculous. Other than that they are decent reels, maybe a bit overpriced. If the reel or rod is not up to snuff,return it. Their customer service is great.

Well, I mispoke, the reel doesn't lock up completely when wet, but has a big start up inertia like longbow described when wet. The last thing you want when steelhead fishing......what I got mine for. They are on sale by cabelas now, this is often a move they make before discontinuing an item......

Bill

I must have gotten lucky on my L.S.R. it has been dunked many times with no probs. the start up enertia is a problem but mine is on a 2 wt. so its a moot point, i land everything off of the reel or freehand as some call it in the West.

Back