Cabela's/loomis blank warranty

If they are going to market themselves as providing fly shop like service, then they should interface with the manufacturer. For a long time, they were able to provide something close to a fly shop-like experience (minus the local knowledge). They have officially jumped the shark, and now provide a big box experience IMO. I don't think it's worth the money saved.

acristickid

I think it was broken in the first 1/2 mile of the float just after he'd hooked a fish. Swung the oar to get it out of the way but the dry fly rod was in the rod holder and lost the fight w/ the 7' oar.

Some will swear by Orvis and Loomis but I don't think that I'd ever buy one. Are they nice? Sure. I think that the Loomis stuff is way over priced and Orvis is right on their heels. Almost all of their rods are 600-800. Sage, Scott, St Croix all make good products at price points from 150-800. I've had 4 rods sent back to Sage and never had an issue. The RPL+ I'd bought in the 90's was on it's first trip out. I was teaching kids to fly fish on the golf course. The kid that was holding it set it down and the mower ran over it. Told Sage and they sent me a new one for $0 along w/ return shipping tube and tag. That wins me over for life.

afish, That TCX I had is listed on the second link. Go get it!

I'm not half the FlyfisherMAN that you are...too much rod for me to handle.....:oops:

Good luck selling it though. Hopefully you can get back most of your investment back and buy a rod you really like.

Yep, that's what happened.

Good luck selling it? He gave me full shop credit for the price I had paid for the rod!! Wayne is the freakin man. Runs a very nice business. I have a St Croix rod shipping tomorrow and 170 shop credit which = new rubber soled wading boots, some fly lines or something else useful.

Some will swear by Orvis and Loomis but I don't think that I'd ever buy one. Are they nice? Sure. I think that the Loomis stuff is way over priced and Orvis is right on their heels. Almost all of their rods are 600-800. Sage, Scott, St Croix all make good products at price points from 150-800. I've had 4 rods sent back to Sage and never had an issue.

Orvis has the exact range of pricing as Sage and Scott with excellent quality and very good service.

Wayne is the freakin man. Runs a very nice business.

Wow. Sounds like you got that nightmare straightened out eventually. You were having such a bad experience and getting screwed at one point.

If you are going to spend money at Cabelas, now's the time to do it. I recently got a cash card in the mail and it's good for up to $150 in credit with a $500 purchase.

About this time last year their new return policy went into place. For a month or two after they started the new policy, they were really pushing extended warranties like Best Buy would for computers.... but they haven't brought it up on any of my purchases since. Has anyone on here ever purchased an extended warranty from them?

No but I was buying a steel riser post for my pontoon seat for $15 and they offered me a $10 extended warranty on it. I told them that if I had a problem with that thing, I probably had bigger problems in life. Also, $10 to insure $15? Jeez.

I wasn't having issues w/ the shop out there. I called, Rachel answered and told me that the return rod and reel just had come in. She put the in the "returns" bin and went Washington state on vacation. She thought the rod was being shipped directly and the reel would take about a week. I called 2 weeks later and wanted to know where things stood. The rod was MIA and the reel was sitting on his desk. Wayne had no idea if it was a return, a special order or what. Called me back 2 days later and the rod was found. She has the St Croix and was going to ship rod and reel together but the reel hasn't arrived from Galvan yet so she'll send the rod today or tomorrow. She'll call me when the reel gets in.

It's all good and I wasn't too worried. I figured they'd make it right. I had insurance and tracking confirmation that they signed for it. If they lost it, that was on them.

Jay,

Here's some other options:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/spo/1923617211.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/spo/1919420782.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/1900411929.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/spo/1895693418.html

Luckily I have a new dan craft FT 9' 5wt coming, but I'll be needing a medium fast rod. Those look good. Thanks.

St Croix 9' 6wt Reign... Barely used, make offer. ;)

I need a 5wt for general duty. The FT is a cannon, and won't be my weapon of choice for mid sized streams.

If it was a 5, I'd be all over it.

Man that last Harrisburg craigslist ad is odd. "Gotta bunch of St Croix, Loomis, Orvis that I want to sell. Call me." No prices, no inventory, no email contact. Just weird.

Sight you love craigslist women, good deals and crazy people (not necessarily in that order), give him a call tomorrow and get an inventory and price run down.

I recently bought Simms waders from Cabelas and I was told when I checked out that I would have to deal with Simms for any repairs after 90 days. I don't think that's an unfair policy. If the waders were defective I should have been able to figure that out within 90 days.
Check with Mudhole or Hook & Hackle, they may be able to point you to a replacement section.

If my ever failing memory serves me right, it seems way back when, as the rod warranties were extended and expanded, so did the prices charged for a top end rod.

The no questions asked, life time warranties never made sense to me, but then, neither did paying close to 4 figures for a mass produced rod.

It always seemed to me that you were probably paying for about a rod and a half. If you were lucky enough to have a warranty claim, you were ahead of the game. If not, you helped subsidize someone else's claim.

I remember when Gary LaFountaine came out with his line of rods, he said he wasn't going to offer a lifetime warranty, rather each rod came with two tips.

I guess in the end, it's nothing right or wrong, it's just business. I've literally worn out two Orvis one weight rods over the course of the past 12 or 15 years. Each time, the rod was replaced without any problem. The list price on each new rod I received seemed to be a couple hundred more than the one before. Truth be told, I liked the feel of the first rod better than the next two, but that's just me.

Back