Cabela's/loomis blank warranty

jayL

jayL

I have a thread in the swap forum, to see if I can find a tip section from a 9' 5wt loomis gl3. I am also investigating cashing in on some kind of warranty, should I be able to.

I built this rod from a cabela's kit about 4 or so years ago. It's my all-time favorite rod, and I am pretty sure I'm screwed, since the blanks aren't available anymore.

I can't find much info on any warranties that I'm entitled to, and I doubt that I'm covered. I figured it can't hurt to ask. Does anyone have experience with blank warranties from cabelas or loomis? Thanks

Edit:

I bought it way more recently than I thought!

Edit again: Cabela's told me to pound sand. Their customer service has gone down the crapper.

jayL wrote:
Edit again: Cabela's told me to pound sand. Their customer service has gone down the crapper.

More detail on the method of sand pounding they've encouraged?

I've noticed their ability to satisfy has really gone down hill, along with the satisfaction garuntee itself. What was once, if I recall, lifetime is now down to 90 days?

I know I'm a very small part of a bottom line somewhere, but this absolutely effects how I'll spend my money, and I have no reason to favour their shop over some others, now. While their branded stuff is up to par in quality, unless they really give me a screamin' deal on something else, I won't bother.

I'd send it back to Loomis and see what they can do.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/support.html

Jay,

If they send you back a new tip section / blank, I'll redo it for you. Only will cost you a beer or two.:pint: :pint:

I would think it's covered. If they don't have a GL3 tip (they should), you will get the current model that is most similar in action.

When did Cabelas change their policy? I'll shop there less if that's the deal.

Cabela's told me that anything after 90 days has to go to the manufacturer.

Loomis told me that they won't cover it unless it's manufacturing defect. The only defect is that it doesn't hold up well to an oar. They don't do any blanks at all. They said that if it's covered that they would give me credit toward a new factory rod. It's a completely clean break. I really doubt they'd rule in my favor. I've got to decide if it's worth sending it back... leaning toward no.

Tom,

I appreciate it. I doubt I'll be getting a blank, though.

http://www.mudhole.com/s.nl/sc.3/.f

You can't link to your shopping cart. It's unique to your browser. Link to the item's page, or just tell me what it is. :)

9 ft 4 wt Zxl blank that's what you need!

I can't afford it. Thanks though.

Just spoke w/ Rachel at Anglers Habitat in Idaho. I told her what happened. She said you must do the following:

* call Loomis warranty department directly

* let them know you built the rod 4-5 yrs ago and that it broke due to accidental damage

* if they don't have a gl3 tip section laying around to send you, they SHOULD replace it with the current model that most closely matches your old rod

* be sure to write down the name of the person and the offer they make. include the person's name and their promise with the rod when you return it to loomis

Depending on what they want to charge... here's some other options...

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/Anglers-Habitat/TRADE-UP-used-equipment-/_i.html?_fsub=615785014&_sid=28306154&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

afish, That TCX I had is listed on the second link. Go get it!

Thanks a ton. I'll get on it after work.

How'd ya break'er?

Learning to fish out of a moving pontoon.

In the beginning, middle or end of the float?

Did you continue to fish with it?

Oh- Darn!

I am going to tread lightly here. How does Cabelas owe someone a new rod that they broke? There has to be a point where the retailer separates itself from the manufacturer. I think a lot of folks have gotten Cableas undying warranty/service of THEIR proprietary branded products with ALL products. Cabelas should not have to warranty another manufacturers product, the manufacturer should warranty the product against issues that the manufacturer have created. This whole concept of "rod warranties" has just gotten silly. A warranty is a promise against defect, not incidental or intentional breakage. Don't get me wrong, the manufacturers have allowed this to happen. When Winston or Sage calls something a "warranty" repair it is actually just a repair that they are charging $60 for in most cases. I suggest that they manufacturers are actually covering cost, possibly slightly profiting with "repairs". Let's face it, they are replacing sections. As far as building on a blank, that is a risk you take in exchange for the much lower cost. If I break the tip of my custom Winston, I would expect to be able to buy a rod tip from Winston, unfinished and requiring me to build the end tip. Now, if had a custom Winston built and 10 years later I broke the rod of discontinued line, I would approach them and see if I could get a discounted blank. I mean if they had a tip I could buy from them great, but if they have not produced the rod in 10 years I wouldn't expect them to have the tip, nor would I expect them to replace the rod with a new one.
Of course a manufacturers defect is a whole completely different story. Guy I fished with yesterday has a Winston Vapor (the Chinese crap they import) and every ferrule coating is badly cracking after a year. They should completely replace that rod. In fact I think they should allow him to trade it in at full credit and get a better rod because the entire Ascent and Vapor line was crap, is known to be crap and is being replaced by new lines of rod.

"You can buy with confidence, knowing that if you are not satisfied within 90 days of a purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item. In addition, Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear, and against defects in workmanship. And, all other Cabela's brand merchandise is guaranteed for one full year."

Their guarantee program is very, very clear and very reasonable. I would not that some products have greater warranties than cited above, such as their branded rods.

The wording of their guarantee has changed.

And I'm not angry that they won't replace it. I'm angry that they said that it's to be dealt with through the manufacturer, and then basically hung up on me. If you're going to sell the product, YOU deal with the manufacturer. If nothing can be done, so be it.

Also, it was an absolute freaking nightmare to even get to the part of the call where we discuss the rod and what happened to it. The person on the other end seemed largely incompetent.

Dealing with them has always been a pleasure, but things have degraded. I will stop spending my money there going forward.

I agree that there was no point in them being asses about it. I also agree that the person you spoke with was likely largely incompetent after all this is retail we are talking about.

I don't agree that a retailer should have to be a middle man in future service issues. I think if a product holds up for 90 days, then they should be able to pass returns/repairs to the person who made the product. That is why the manufacturer provides the warranty.

I do however understand your frustration. I have a cheap Chinese Winston in my garage that has a broken tip that I won't spend $60 to have the tip replaced but I can't throw it away either. LOL.

PS: Fishing out of toons is for the birds!

Back