C.E.C on natural reproduction trout stream

tstooge26

tstooge26

A buddy and me were fishing a brook trout stream that is in the natural reproduction list. This creek is in sw pa and on game lands...walking the ridge above the creek back to the car we saw two workers on the stream taking measurements and looked like some type of surveying equipment. Back at the car we saw it was CEC, civil & environmental consultants inc. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what they could have been doing with this stream they were definitely in the stream. Does this streams have any special protections since it is on the natural repo list. I fish a lot of these streams and never seen anyone doing any surveying or anything

Any number of possibilities.

Survey Crews typically would be gathering information for a potential project, could be logging, road work, culvert replacements, utility lines, etc. They could also be surveying the stream for conservation planning purposes or a stream restoration project. Stream crossings and sections are surveyed on a regular basis. If they were on gamelands, the PGC probably knows what is going on.

Thanks for the response...logging is what I was possibly thinking but it’s a very tight/steep creek valley

Thanks for the response...logging is what I was possibly thinking but it’s a very tight/steep creek valley

I wouldn't think they'd do that type of survey for logging.

Who owns the land? On DCNR land I have not seen logging near streams for quite a few years.

On private land that is done though.

Is there natural gas activity in the area? Where there are gas wells they must have gas lines and often those are run under streams. They surely would survey the area before such work.

could be site development for the oil and gas industry

I guess my concern is what it will do to the trout population. It’s a pretty tight little creek valley coming off the mountain

My guess is gas drilling. If that leaks kiss the creek goodbye. Fished a creek for years and now where the gas site moved in. The creek has a stain color, mud and silt on the bottom and gas bubbles coming up everywhere.

Troutbert,
They might if they were delineating wetlands prior to a logging operation, but if it is a narrow, steep-sided hollow, I would think that logging would be less of a possibility.

Back