Bye Bye Boa

S

Sylvaneous

I think the Boa lacing system is the bees knees, but it looks like our industry providers have decided against it. All I can think is that Boa was asking too much for their product. However, it was a supremely great thing and allowed me to lace up my wading shoes and , there by fly fish, when my hip went to S#!T and I couldn't bend over and lace my boots with any alacrity. Sorry to see it go.
Syl

AW come on! I finally bought a new pair of boots this year with them. Bummer!!

I think the Boa lacing system is the bees knees, but it looks like our industry providers have decided against it. All I can think is that Boa was asking too much for their product. However, it was a supremely great thing and allowed me to lace up my wading shoes and , there by fly fish, when my hip went to S#!T and I couldn't bend over and lace my boots with any alacrity. Sorry to see it go.
Syl
I feel your pain, with two "artificial hips", tying shoes is impossible. Problem with the Boa, sometimes they just don't want to "release".

Last edited:
Who is eliminating the Boa option?
I think there are maybe 3 or 4 boots with Boa lacing, and they're all SUPER expensive. Several years ago, I think LL Bean had 2 wading boot lines with Boa options.

I think there are maybe 3 or 4 boots with Boa lacing, and they're all SUPER expensive. Several years ago, I think LL Bean had 2 wading boot lines with Boa options.
Just checked Bean's site. None available. Mine are LL Bean boas.

Korkers are still offering Boa which is good because I have a pair of their Ice Cleats with Boa lacing, only because most crampons are a PIA to put on.

None of my wading shoes have Boa and it isn't something that appeals to me so I guess I'm not fretting... ;).

I'm a korkers guy, love the BOA! I haven't heard anything about them getting rid of it.

I see they have it in several lines. My Beans are far from spent, but unless offerings change, I'm going with Korkers. And really, If you haven't tried Boa laced boots they are the SERIOUS S#!T.

I've never used the system, but have gone with a latex lacing one over the last few years for a quick "tie." The BOA has always intrigued me, does anyone have any other pairs of boots they'd recommend that are still on the market with this?

My biggest reason for not going with Boa besides the fact that none of my preferred wading shoes offer it, is my fear of the hassle of failure of the winding gizmo in the field and really having no desire for wading shoes that fit like ski boots.

I've never used the system, but have gone with a latex lacing one over the last few years for a quick "tie." The BOA has always intrigued me, does anyone have any other pairs of boots they'd recommend that are still on the market with this?
I've had the BOA lacing system on my last 3 pair of boots - maybe 12 years or so of use. No problems. They seem to work as well as regular laces - but don't rot or sometimes require readjusting because of slippage. They tighten and release quickly.

I carry a BOA replacement lace kit in case a steel cable breaks or the ratchet mechanism ever fails. Duct tape would probably work as an emergency repair.

Korkers offers BOA systems on most of their boots. I see the Simms website now shows it on one boot model, but I don't know of anyone else offering it.

Got a pair of Korkers with the Boa after I went through multiple pairs laces on lace up boots. Love them the Boa, makes getting in and out a breeze. The swappable soles is an added bonus. Surprised how well that system works.

Get a pair of Ironlace laces, and never break a shoelace again. I think I got them on Amazon for under 20 bucks. I have probably 100 trips on one pair of them, and I put them on a second pair of boots.

I had one pair of Orvis boa boots over the years (and two pairs of Korkers, but that is another story) and would never own them again. Convenience, but that is where the advantages end....

Boas never loosen, never come undone. As you walk and wade, you get more 'play' in your boots. Reach down and make a few clicks, even through the gravel guards. Nothing like them.

+1

I like my Simms BOAs. I’m surprised, some expert normally pronounces…POS…..by now.

I did have a Boa lace give out once. I sorta jimmy rigged it back together and it held up the whole day. Got home, found a replacement kit, had it fixed in 5 minutes. Great system.

+1 for Boa "laces". It's a great product that I've had no problem over the years. I do keep an extra pair of laced wading boots in the tub "just in case", but haven't needed them yet!

I just saw Simms has more coming out with the Boa system. I don't think its going away. I myself though have it and wish I still had laces. I'm old school.

Back