Buy or Tie?

I am a complete novice tyer but IMO I think it helps you learn more about flies and bugs- which in turn might help you understand how and why fish are taking what they are taking. Maybe you pay attention more to the tails or body segments.

However; I did'nt tye for several years and caught plenty of fish on fly shop flies.

For me, I really don't care to tye everything- just what I use alot. If there is some pattern that is difficult and is only used for a few days a year- probably still buy those. Good luck.

Learn to tie if you really like to fly fish and plan on fishing for years to come.

Otherwise, just buy flies. You can pick them up at TU fundraising events or from local tiers who know what works on your local waters.

acristickid is right, tying is not just making something to catch fish, it broadens your thinking, perspective and imagination to entomology, how aquatics and terrestrials grow and behave.

I can't even imagine fly fishing without fly tying now that I have been doing both a "few" years.

Everyone seems to have their own reasoning for tying as well as fly fishing but I personal find it to be more of a mental game than physical. Like golf (can I say that on here?) Untimately tying is relaxing and with 2 young kids it's an escape from life while cooped up in these boring cold months of winter. In the past I have worked in the wood working industry and love the idea of using my creativeness and imagination and widdling with my fingers. You have to at least try it buy a $10 vise and tie up some nymphs. But what takes too long to tie yourself and have fun some of the good recipes I have found for flies you can't buy in most shops in my area. Heck I don't mind paying $.50 for a good dry fly at this point but I'm not willing pay for a simple caddis larvae that takes me 6 minutes to whip up. Try it what do you have to loose.

Like golf (can I say that on here?)

"I have nothing against golf as I suspect it keeps legions of the unworthy from discovering trout" (i forget who said this, but it's true)

Go ahead and start tying. I got started last year around this time and have gotten a bit addicted. I have fingers the size of sausages and have tied down to a size 26 or so. Its tough but its just a matter of figuring out a method. I am completely self taught and have a few basic books that have helped along the way, along with some of the great help you can find on this site. The main thing is dont be afraid to ask questions on here, you will always get answers.

>>"I have nothing against golf as I suspect it keeps legions of the unworthy from discovering trout" (i forget who said this, but it's true)>

Paul O'Neil, a writer for TIME and LIFE magazines and the author of the fine little book, "In Praise of Trout, and Also Me.."

Paul died just this past January at 79.

Paul Oneil - That's right - thanks!

I have tied flies since I was 12. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it in the winter, as it helps pass the time and keeps me connected to the sport. That said, I don't think there is anyway that I can cost justify it. Of course, I cannot pass a store without buying $30 of stuff.

Last season, I realized that my fly boxes were pretty thinly stocked and I was not able to match the hatch. So I ordered almost 30 dozen flies to cover what I am likely to find on my streams. For example, BH hares ear in 4 different sizes, some soft hackle, some olive. I could have tied any one of the patterns, but I simply do not have the time to tie so may flies. I reserve my tying time for patterns that I cannot purchase.

The average cost per fly that I purchased was less than .60, a far cry from the cost of $1.75 that is found in many fly shops. Some similar deals are available on the web, but before making a large purchase, make sure the quality is what you want. I have seen some less than stellar examples on bargain sites.

Catching fish on your own pattern, though, is a special reward.

Back