Bushkill Creek, Stroudsburg PA

thejoshmorgan

thejoshmorgan

Hello all,

This is my first post of PAFF, so please let me know if I need redirected to a more appropriate forum on the site with this inquiry. My younger brother and I are going up to camp and fish Bushkill creek in Stroudsburg this coming weekend. I am leaving for Montana in October, and we thought it would be fun to take a trip together before I head out. Neither of us have ever fished this stretch of water, but it was suggested to us by our grandfather.

Does anybody know what kind of fishing we can expect in mid September here? We will be staying around the Resica Falls BSA camp.

Currently it's at only 19 cfs on the USGS site. Without rain and cooler weather, I wouldn't expect much. The Bushkill gets warm early and stays that way. It's a beautiful place, too bad the water isn't colder.

I was at it recently. It was low and warm, fish were spooky as well. If you fish at the scout camp, you will also have to purchase a $40 pass to fish it. The pass is good until the end of the year. I dunno that it would be great fishing. However, Brodhead Creek is right down the road and will offer much better opportunities to catch fish. It's also low, but temperatures have been lower recently. Any of the parks above Stroudsburg will provide access to it. Good luck!

Don't waste your time (not with your brother, the Bushkill). I second the Brodhead if you are thinking Poconos. The water temps along the middle stretches along RT 191 hold up most of the summer on better years (not this year) but the cooler nights probably have it fishable again in the morning.

Last week, when the highs were still almost 90, the temp of Brodhead up at Forevergreen was 68 degrees at sunset, and fish were rising. Air temps up here have dropped considerably since then, with highs in the 70s and lows at night down in the low 50s (compared to low 70s a week ago). I'd imagine Brodhead will be fishing well.

I can't believe the Resica Falls pass is up to $40. I thought I heard it was about $12 two years ago? I don't care if it benefits the Scouts or not; I can't see myself paying that to fish one stretch of the Bushkill.

Thanks a lot for the Broadhead tip everyone! I will definitely look into that. Rather fish cooler water anyway for the sake of the fish.

Don't worry about the pass. It is only voluntary for state stocked waters. Also, camp doesn't seem to be managing/promoting trout fishing as it used to. At one time I got a letter each spring with a form to get a pass. Generally made a donation to Boy Scouts as well. Used to get a patch each year; Boy Scouts love their patches. Haven't done that for a few years now.

A few years back the USGS gage reported 8 cfs flow in the fall. That was an awful year.

Back