Burkheimer Trout Rods

mt_flyfisher

mt_flyfisher

Do any of you who live in PA, or a state close by, own a Burkheimer trout rod? If so, I’d like to hear what you think of it.

I’ve been toying around this week with the idea of buying one, but there are no dealers close by that I could see or perhaps actually cast one, and I believe that most of their customers are in the NW US, where they have an exceptionally strong following, especially for their Spey rods.

It’s not that I actually need more fly rods, however I’d really like to have another 5wt rod for fishing moderately sized streams here in PA, and at my age (is it age related?) I tend to place the beauty of fly fishing gear on a par with its actual performance. And, Burkheimer’s are sure pretty, at least in my eye.

John

Yo John - are you wanting one of Kerry's graphites, or glass? He picked up Russ Peak's shop, which was mostly glass, but then went with the crowd to graphite. I was following his taper and action developments, and was entranced with a long 3wt that he was refining - but ended going with a bamboo for that purpose. He used to work for Jim Green or one of those outfits, maybe on Bainbridge, and his sensibilities were for complex, forgiving but versatile dry fly actions. Interestingly, although he and Bob Sigman didn't really know each other, Kerry's light graphite action and Bob's hollowed hex felt amazingly similarly. I introduced them to each other at a San Mateo Show and it was fun to be part of the conversation to hear how to design and build feel into the rod (really absent these days in the uber-casting machines). (Thinking Either/Or, as opposed to All of the Above, I went with the wood.)
Stream of Dreams on Rte 46 in Jersey had a few, and I've played with them at Slide Inn, Blue Ribbon and BZN. Now that I think of it, I need to nab one to see where his development has ended up with his Deep Actions.

LesTrout, When is the San Mateo show? I'm there for the horticulture show every winter at the Event Center. If there is a fishing in that town in Feb or March I'd like to be there.

I don't believe Kerry makes any more glass rods or offers any glass blanks at all.

I own a Tom Morgan Rodsmiths glass rod built on a Burkheimer blank when Tom was still alive and in charge and Kerry was furnishing the blanks, but that is more of what Tom liked versus Kerry and an apples to rutabagas comparison.

If it's eye candy you are after and are willing to spend the extra cash, you might also consider a Tom Morgan Rodsmiths (TMR) graphite or glass offering built on a blank made by PA native Mike McFarland which you may be able to get some reviews on. I can attest to the performance and bling of TMR offerings.

Another option is finding a rod from a company that you can try out. Then see if the blank is available and have a custom rod built from it. It will come in at a similar price point but be exactly what you want.

There is a bunch of well-known and extraordinary rod builders out there who do incredible work and the blank will have the manufacturer’s warranty while the builder will stand by their work.

IMHO – A custom rod is a no lose proposition. While many folks will tell you factory rods hold their value better, the bottom line is most fly rods with the exception of a VERY select few are a lousy investment anyway.

Good luck!

I've cast a burkie before. Very nice rod, great workmanship. Hes pretty well known for his 2 handers. The rod I cast was a DAL I think. If I remember it right it was slower than a sage rpl but faster than a Scott g. I remember it being a very nice rod.

Livingston Traditional graphite is another similar option. Epic Carbon is another option. If you're looking for something in 8.5 feet or less that opens up a lot of glass options. Larry Kenney makes very classy glass rods. His 805/5 and 845/3 are excellent 5 weights.

Mt_flyfisher, Please check your inbox sent you a pm.

Baron wrote:
When is the San Mateo show? I'm there for the horticulture show every winter at the Event Center. If there is a fishing in that town in Feb or March I'd like to be there.

Some of the coastal streams (just over the Santa Cruz mountains) are open for steelhead fishing until early March, but only on weekends and Wednesdays. (Limited run of coho/silver salmon in some of the streams as well.)

I could wrong, but I don't think the San Mateo show is still a thing. I used to go every year when I lived out there. The Pleasanton show (if you're up for another Fuminsky show) is in February, and not far away.

Hi - thank you all for your comments. Sorry I didn’t see them earlier as I didn’t get back on here until today. After some going back and forth with a few guys on the west coast, I ended up ordering a custom Burkheimer 590-4 DAL rod. Now, I’ll have to wait for 2-3 months until it is completed.

John

Back