Building a rod

What’s the advantages of having a removable fighting butt.

Ok now onto gluing the thread on the guides. How many layers to put on. Do you put one layer on or do you put a couple on it.

I usually do one coat of epoxy, but if the thread looks like it needs another layer I'll repeat.

[/quote]
Metal lip was the metal right up against the cork is what I was referring to.
Looks like it slides right in. No threads on it anywhere. [/quote]

It should fit in just like a butt cap. Mine are epoxied in place. They're not going to "break". I can't figure what you have to do to break a removable fighting butt.

[/quote]
What’s the advantages of having a removable fighting butt. [/quote]
You don't necessarily need a fighting butt, like fishing for trout or panfish. You just take it out and you have a normal looking fly rod.

[/quote]
Ok now onto gluing the thread on the guides. How many layers to put on. Do you put one layer on or do you put a couple on it. [/quote]
A couple of things to consider.
Do you want the thread wrap to stay the same color on the finished rod? If you do, I would suggest that you use a wrapping thread that does not require a color preservative. Otherwise you'll need to apply color perseverative to the wraps first. As far as I can tell it's basically a white glue that dries clear. But it adds another step to the process.
How many coats. Do you have a rod turner? Otherwise, you'll have to hand turn the rod in order to get an even coat on the wraps. And turn it till the "epoxy" set up. In that case you would probably have to use more than one coat. You don't want the lines of the thread to be visible on the finished rod.
I've mainly used Flexcoat on the rods I've built over the years. Though I did use 5 minute epoxy on the trolling rods I've built. And I've been experimenting with a flexible UV resin on a couple of rods I've recently rebuilt. Since this is your first rod, I'd recommend the Flexcoat.
Another suggestion is to wrap tape around the rod between 5 and 10 mm from the end of the wrap. This will insure that the wrap is fully covered and give you an even end to the coating.

I have a rod finisher. I bought the flex coat kit. Rod wrapper, rod finisher, all the glues, epoxy, and book/dvd. I’m glad I got it.

I also saw what to do with masking tape. Looks like it’s used in many ways on a rod.

Thanks for the replies. Right now if I think of anything else I’ll be posting. I’ll let ya know how it turns out.

Hope it’s goes good since it’s gonna be my new 10wt musky rod.

Back