Building a rod

Solitariolupo

Solitariolupo

Anyone on here ever build their own fly rod. I have the tools and the blank kit. Just have some questions on the small things.

Many of us have built rods from blanks.

Just fire away with any specific questions.

Here is a short video showing the basics to get you started >

That was a good brief overview, but there are more explicit You tube videos to explore.

I build all my fly rods.
I must say, getting components this year has been difficult.

First question the spine of the rod. They say put all pieces together. Was wondering if I would spin the 4 sections of the rod will I get it in a specific direction.

Here’s what I’m trying to do is get the where they stamped the brand name inside the spine.
Know it’s kinda stupid but just thought it maybe got look better.

If you want to build based on the spine, you have to find the spine on all sections, then have the guides either on the spine or opposite the spine (people do it both ways). Or there is another school of thought to build on the straighten axis of the rod.

Finding and building on or opposite the spine is often argued about. When I built rods I usually found thr spine and put the guides opposite the spine. But I was never that good at building rods.

Solitariolupo wrote:
First question the spine of the rod. They say put all pieces together. Was wondering if I would spin the 4 sections of the rod will I get it in a specific direction.

Here’s what I’m trying to do is get the where they stamped the brand name inside the spine.
Know it’s kinda stupid but just thought it maybe got look better.

The section of rod that has the stamped brand name (handle section) really doesn't need to have the spine found. It has such little flex that its not going to make a difference. I still usually build on the spine but a lot build on the straight access. Roll the rod sections on a flat surface and it will help find the straightest side of the rod.

I believe in spline and check all 4 pieces (although butt section doesn't show much). I put my guides on the inside of the bend, but it is most important to get the softer direction in the plane of casting so the rod doesn't want to wobble to the side that is softer when casting.

Think what I’ll do is spin the brand name around and see what happens. That’s the first ?

On to another. My fly rod that I have now has thread wrapped around all the female pieces of the rod. Is this done for support or is it done for decoration.

Solitariolupo wrote:
On to another. My fly rod that I have now has thread wrapped around all the female pieces of the rod. Is this done for support or is it done for decoration.

Its done for both support and decoration. A lot of rod builders do something fancy. I personally like it to blend in with the rod.

If it’s done for support then I’m thinking of doing the same. Doesn’t hurt right.

I’m having hard time posting pics or I would show some pics for what I’m talking about since I’m not really good at explaining it.

Another ? Is about the butt attaching to the reel seat. I’m guessing it’s gotta sit flush against it. In the vids they add just a cork and looks like they just slide it on the blank. The one they sent has cork and a little metal lip then turns into a a metal stem. I guess the stem goes into the blank and glued.
Then the reel seat should be pushed all the way down to match??..

It’s actually a removable fighting butt so I guess it doesn’t get glued.

Attachments

• 30413C45-A1A0-4CE3-93E0-1244229FBE8B.jpeg
    30413C45-A1A0-4CE3-93E0-1244229FBE8B.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4
Metal lip? It should be a round metal piece with a hole in the center that fits into the reel seat in place of the butt cap. The fighting butt is either inserted or screwed in depending on the type.
I just replaced the grip on my 6 wgt a couple of months ago and added a removable fighting butt to the reel seat. The one mistake I made when I ordered it was ordering one with a black insert instead of a silver one.
You can see how it fits on the reel seat in the picture.

Attachments

• P5210475 (3).JPG
    P5210475 (3).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 3
Solitariolupo wrote:
It’s actually a removable fighting butt so I guess it doesn’t get glued.

I learned the hard way...I'll NEVER build another rod with a removable fighting butt. Its a weak spot that tends to break on rods. I had it happen once and never will I build one like that again. Most veteran builders agree that the removal butt is not a good idea.

bigjohn58 wrote:

I learned the hard way...I'll NEVER build another rod with a removable fighting butt. Its a weak spot that tends to break on rods. I had it happen once and never will I build one like that again. Most veteran builders agree that the removal butt is not a good idea.

Thanks for advice. Only one problem is that’s the one that came with the kit so I’m kinda stuck with it.

What would break so I can look out for it it.

JerryC wrote:
Metal lip? It should be a round metal piece with a hole in the center that fits into the reel seat in place of the butt cap. The fighting butt is either inserted or screwed in depending on the type.
I just replaced the grip on my 6 wgt a couple of months ago and added a removable fighting butt to the reel seat. The one mistake I made when I ordered it was ordering one with a black insert instead of a silver one.
You can see how it fits on the reel seat in the picture.

Metal lip was the metal right up against the cork is what I was referring to.

Looks like it slides right in. No threads on it anywhere.

If you don't plan on removing it you could hit the male end of the aluminum with a scotch Brite pad and epoxy it on permanently

I've never heard of breakage with a removable fighting butt. I'm trying to figure out where it would break.

I have a russ peak 9 weight with a removable fighting butt. He was a pretty good rod builder.

Back