Bug Repellent

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
It's that time of year folks.

After a cold springtime kept the nasties at bay, the hordes are out now in force. If you aren't in the habit of packing bug dope during the colder months, don't leave home without it now.

I'm a fan of permethrin clothing treatment to ward off ticks. If you're new to using this stuff, please keep in mind that is it highly toxic to aquatic insects and fish, so be mindful of where and how you use it.

I use a product called nonatz. I bought it in VT and saw it in most fishing supply shops. It actually smells good. Works for everything but needs hourly renewal.

Attachments

• BE48AAAE-3E5B-4EC3-81CB-EBBE5C8EB7A8.jpeg
    BE48AAAE-3E5B-4EC3-81CB-EBBE5C8EB7A8.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 5
I use permetherin for work and play. Please read the label and apply as directed. Two big things are to apply to clothing in a well ventilated area while NOT WEARING IT and to try and not get it on the skin in liquid form. It does work too. I usually just douse my boots every three weeks and it works well. Ticks are bad this year too (we say that every year)

+1 for permetherin. Obviously stay upwind. Surprised how well it works on my hunting clothes.

I use Permetherin as well. I believe its Swayers. Seems to work very well.

Does everyone store their permetherin treated clothing in trash bags? I thought I recalled reading that they require some type of special storage so the treatment lasts.

I believe washing is the main cause for degrading the treatment. As with all chemical applications, the amount applied, type of material, and exact chemical composition all apply to how long the treatment will last. The commercially available insect repellent clothes advertise several hundred washes, but not a timeline. Sawyers I believe says 6 weeks or 6-10 washes.

Yes permethrin is harmful to aquatic environments but if used as recommended and not on waders, I am not sure how our use would ever have an impact on the streams we frequent.

Dave: Timely topic!

I use permethrin on clothing, 20% Sawyer picaridin on skin.

"Picaridin: Though it’s been around for fewer decades, its efficacy is considered comparable to DEET for mosquitoes and ticks, and it works better on flies. Picaridin also has minimal odor and no damaging effect on plastics and other synthetics." (source)

Permethrin applied to my clothing and hat, an ExOfficio Bugs Away bandanna around my neck, a cigar in my mouth and if I feel particularly threatened, some DEET free White Mountain Insect Repellent...

...recommended many moon ago on this very website by Heritage Angler.

Back