Budget reel?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Tomorrow is the last day for bps reel trade in. I am looking for a 4wt reel (I think). My three choices due to budget are : 1. Sage 2230, 2. Lamsom liquid or remix, 3. Orvis acess mid arbor.

Anyone have thoughts? I don't have a 4wt yet, but assume I will before Father's Day.

Thanks

Since you have to buy the reel before the rod, I'd buy the Lamson. Give us a review. Curious how these budget reels Perform.

The liquid or remix dude hands down. Orvis reels are junk imo.

Wait a minute, aren't orvis reels made by Abel? I'll give another vote for Lamson.

krayfish2 wrote:
Wait a minute, aren't orvis reels made by Abel? I'll give another vote for Lamson.

Redington is still producing reels for Orvis.

yeah, those 30year old orvis reels that I use constantly are quite the pieces of crap.

You're comparing apple to its oranges biker. Not evn close to being the same construction quality.

I have been thinking the remix but was not sure. The Sage is sexier but.... we will see. I like the idea of spare spools atxa good price too...

Abel only makes the new CFO reel for Orvis.

I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion.

I've had three orvis reels every single one was beyond garbage. Their drags are junk. Maybe your thousand year old reels were built better.

Cabelas has a good deal on the lamson konic ii. The r.emix replaced the konic in their lineup. Pretty good reels for the price I've got one and I really like it.

+1 for 30 year old orvis. (honestly)

The new orvis battenkill looks decent too.

Check out the Ross Reels..Smooth and Light

jrmyln wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

Redington is still producing reels for Orvis.

More like a factory in China is producing reels for everyone, altering the same basic designs a bit for each brand.

The reels actually aren't bad but reels of the same quality and very similar design can be had for 1/2 the price or less on eBay and from lesser brands.

The current Orvis Clearwater's are reasonably priced and a good reel, but there are still better buys out there.

As for Orvis's more expensive reels, you'd need your head examined to pay that much for a Chinese reel. Not that they are bad, but again, there are so many other brands offer the same thing for half the price (or less).

Kev

See Kev's review here and subscribe to his channel.

http://youtu.be/OwPgUOeTVzQ

This was filmed before he cut off the ponytail

So... Here lies my question... I am trying to justify to myself getting another rod size. I have a 5 & 8. The 8 is a new mangrove I bought and put a Clearwater reel on it. Do I exchange the remix I just bought (3/4) and buy a 7/8 in its place. My thinking is the better drag and fact that I really should be good with these 2 ride choices.

I am basing my thoughts on the fact that I fish places like yellow breeches and then the swatty for bass, etc.

Ok, that one was a joke but I couldn't resist.

Here's a link from backcountry where they go over the basics.

http://youtu.be/SGMjA9NpQDY

Ok... Thank you for the video... Good info

I just said f$$k it. Ordered a tip flex 4wt access.

Never going to get a deal this good. Wife may kill me but gift for me!

LOL. Go get em.

As for your drag concerns, I really wouldn't have any. Bass pull hard but don't make high speed or lengthy runs where you'd need to slam on the brakes. The YB is only so big and it's unlikely you'd have a fish put a blistering run on ya. If you go for carp, you might be very happy you got the reel with a more substantial drag or if you went to the Lehigh and had an 18" fish peel off into the fast water where you might have to decide to crank up the drag or he's gone for sure.

I've fished with clicker reels from the mid 80's up until maybe 8 years ago. I've caught plenty of fish on the old style reel including some pretty decent ones 22"-24". I'll still use that style reel on my 3 weight but have modern drags on my 5-7 weights.

I look at it this way.....if you buy a disc drag reel and ever actually 'need' a drag, you'll be happy you have it at your disposal. Buy a clicker and that option is out the window. Disc reels used to cost 300, 400 and even a lot more. Like Kev said, you can get some pretty good stuff at a fair price now. Those Lamsons you looked at are pretty handy at getting the job done. Another smooth reel with good drag is the Ross CLA. You can occasionally find them on sale under $200 or pick up a used one for way less. A reel should last you indefinitely unless it beat up, defective or sub par materials.

Back