Buck Run Sadsbury Township

N

Nickyboy

Is anybody here familiar with Buck Run in Chester County? I live right around the corner from it but have never really fished it. I went over to the stream tonight for about an hour off of Quarry Road and did not see a single fish. I know the section I was in is part of the approved trout waters but I hear this stream is also supporting a wild trout population. I have scouted the river out a couple of times and have seen absolutely nothing worth mentioning.

I am glad you asked this question because I had a similar experience with that stretch of Buck Run about a month ago. I caught a few small chubs but did not see much of anything that excited me. I just chalked it up to inexperience. I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any success there.

We fished Buck Run in the Laurels Preserve once last year. Caught a bunch of fish - smallmouth, rock bass, fallfish, bluegills, chubs, shiners and things I can't identify. Plenty of action.....no trout. By the way, it's a mile walk to where we fished. Absolutely beautiful stream. I've been told there are trout downstream from where we were. I also believe there are wild trout between the stocked section and the Laurels. Actually, I believe there are wild browns spread out throughout the creek. Much of it is posted but there are areas to access as we checked out the entire length early ths Spring. I'm going back this year. Just been busy fishing other streams.

I think it was last year or the year before there was a warmwater fish stream survey article on the fbc website. Several streams in SE PA were sampled including Buck Run. The article said that one wild brook trout was found in Buck Run. If you look at google terrain and sat. views some of its tribs just scream native brookies. Personally I have never fished this stream.

I agree, Andrew. Also, Doe Run and some its tribs.

I never tried the section south of Strasburg Rd. I will have to hit that up one of these days but I did notice that much of it, particularly the portion just south of the Stottsville Inn along Timacula Rd. seemed to be posted. Do you actually access the stream through the Preserve or are there other public points? It is a beautiful stream, I would to do a bit more exploring on it - it just has to hold trout!!

I am sorry guys I am not totally convinced that there is a substantial trout population in Buck Run. I could be wrong and I am not totally willing to give up on it but I have to see it to believe it. Ah, the glory of sepa trout fishing. I don't even see chubs in this stream.

South of Stottsville Inn does appear to be posted in it's entirety. And I agree it is a pretty stream.

it sounds like Beaver creek. On the repro list, but I haven't seen one trout in the listed section.

PSU,

I think Beaver Creek used to have a substantial wild trout population. I can remember about 10-15 years ago walking along the stream and little fish that looked to be about 5 inches or so jetting around in the holes. They behaved like wild trout and then there were the stockers. I cannot recall ever catching any wild trout in that stream though. They might still be there but I don't think that they are there in significant numbers. Its chub central in that place.

There is not a substantial wild trout population. You might find three or four in 300 meters ( with electricity).

Buck Run is a beautiful stream, absolutely pristine within the Sadsbury Preserve. The PFBC opened up the section of the stream that runs along Old Mill Road, and that stretch is much more fitting temporary habitat for the put and take, stocked browns and rainbows the commission dumps than the section surrounding Bert Reel Park. That section is treated burtally by bait fishermen an is pretty depleted after opening day. Deeper within the preserve, there is a very diverse mix of spring-creek fish: log perch, 5 or 6 shiner species, a variety of dace, darters, etc. There also seem to be a number of juvenile brook and brown trout in this area. However, these sections of Buck Run are lined with nettles, brambles, etc. an these little wild fish are probably better off left alone. I am going to avoid pin pointing their specific location because I believe these little fish could be very quickly and tragically wiped out by one or two determined individuals. The section of Buck Run that joins with Doe Run in the vicinity of the Laurels preserve is much warmer and broader that the Sadsbury woods section. There are some stunningly large smallmouth in this area. I would say this stream probably has a smallmouth density (relative to its size) that exceeds the lower Brandywine! However - the Laurels has pretty restrictive hours and you must obtain a permit from the Brandywine Conservency to fish there. Laurels staff patrol the stream every day and are serious about the permit issue. Finally -- I have heard that there are some wild brookies in this section. In 10 years of exploring the Laurels, I have never seen any. However, there is certainly a small, but self-sustaining wild brown trout population in this area. I hope that helps!

Back