Brookies at Falling Spring?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I went to Falling Spring this evening for the first time this year. It's been a while! I took a friend who is a beginner and we are still trying to get him hooked up with a trout. Tough creek to start out on!! I caught one fish tonight and I was surprised to see it was a brookie. Took a Letort Hopper size 12. I did not realize there were brook trout there. I hate to do a stocked or not stocked post but I'm puzzled. Are they common? Escape from the hatchery? I was about 100 yards upstream from Quarry Road.

Attachments

• brookie3.jpg
    brookie3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 8
  • brookie2.jpg
    brookie2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 7
  • brookie1.jpg
    brookie1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 6
They get out when the little hatchery floods. It did just that when we received that 5inch downpour a few weeks back.
Mike

What Mike said.

They're common some years - I've caught many over the years - and some tigers too.

Thanks... Makes sense. Since I've never seen a post about brook trout at FSB, I thought I'd ask.

It depends what part of the branch you are fishing. They stock the dlh area multiple times a year.

I've heard they are there, but never have caught a ingle fish at FSB, though I I hooked a very large carp once.

Back