brookie rods

... and seriously, when I fished a 5 wt. on small strams, you can't even feel a fish fighting on it. That's the fun with these small rods. A 6'' fish feels like 15'' fish on a 5 wt.

Your points are ALL valid, but if the OP wants to have some fun with a brookie rod, the smaller 1-2 wts are the ticket. 1the occassional wild 15'' brown on my 2 wt. is like fishing steel with my 6.

which is why I suggested the OP get a cheap, stiff blank, such as an rx6.. My friend also reinforced the blank in certain ways to make it stiff.

so you're essentially taking a 2 wt and making it a 4 or a 5. :) J/K

No, seriously, I think the heavier line is an advantage in certain situations, no doubt, that is, if you measure success by catching a few more fish. But yeah, the difference between rods would be like the difference between a 20 fish and 25 fish day. i.e. skill is still #1 by far, and both rods will get the job done.

If the fight of those 6" brookies turns you on, well, have at those 2 wts. This sport is about fun and who am I to tell you what is fun for you? Outside of maybe the 1st run of a steelhead, fly fishing was never about the fight for me. Much more about places and puzzles for me.

My favorite small stream rods are an Orvis 6'-6" 4 weight bamboo flea rod and a ShuFly 6'-3" 3 weight - both at the other end of the pricing spectrum. And both are full-flexing slower action rods.

I can precision cast either one in tight quarters. I don't want to drag a small brookie in with a stiff, heavier weight rod. Yes, I do appreciate the fight of a small fish on a wispy rod.

I agree a heavier rod is nice to punch a big wulff through the brush or branches, while a light rod lets the little guys show off a bit. I think the 3-4wt glass I built is a happy compromise, it will throw a big wulff pretty nice, yet it is soft enough to let the fish put a bend in the rod. I've fished short stiff rods, just didn't like them. I also have a 6' 4wt bamboo that fishes very similar to the glass rod. both rods just put a smile on my face every time I fish them, and that's the reason we do this to begin with!
fish what ya want, how ya want, and enjoy it!

Interesting thread. I agree with Pat's gear choice 100%, but (as he said) it's all about having fun and using the equipment that gives you the most pleasure. Heck, the best equipment choice for catching the most fish would be Frank Nale's UL spinning rod and spinners!........lol

all,
thanks for the info, think im gonna go with a 6'6" 3 weight. i want a rod with enough backbone to power a fly through brush in tight quarters, but i also want to enjoy the fight from small brookies. im gonna get rio line, and a super cheap reel, but as for the rod brand, im still searching........

great thread, pat I think I recognize that stream... just kidding. I agree with the comments about a 4pc rod being better to hike with than 2 pc, even in a 6'6" rod.

evw659 wrote:
all,
thanks for the info, think im gonna go with a 6'6" 3 weight. i want a rod with enough backbone to power a fly through brush in tight quarters, but i also want to enjoy the fight from small brookies. im gonna get rio line, and a super cheap reel, but as for the rod brand, im still searching........

LL Bean Quest 2. $70. Lifetime unconditional warranty. Fast for a 3wt, perfection with a 4wt.

I own this, I don't know why I bought it, but I wanted it for some inane reason. Its definatly too stiff for my slow rod lovin' self, but that actually seems llike it fits the bill here. The 3wt line I used was a Cortland Sylk 3DT, a very long front taper line. When I overline it with a 4WFF Cortland-as-Cabela's 444, its a dream. In my hands, it rockets flies to where you want 'em to go.

On top of that, $70 with a no questions asked walk in replacement policy.

The downside is its a two piece.

Should you be going to trico jam, as I'm sure I'll show up at some point, you are welcome to ask me to bring it along. edit: oh, so you're in spitsburgh? yeah, you won't be there. still, its a great budget rod if you get a chance to finger it.

pcray1231 wrote:
which is why I suggested the OP get a cheap, stiff blank, such as an rx6.. My friend also reinforced the blank in certain ways to make it stiff.

so you're essentially taking a 2 wt and making it a 4 or a 5. :) J/K

Outside of maybe the 1st run of a steelhead, fly fishing was never about the fight for me. Much more about places and puzzles for me.

cray,

the reinforcement reallly helps picking line up instead of stripping in and false casting a lot... my buddy has a 5' 2 wt. He loves it, I think it's complete junk.

fly fishing to me, since I feel compelled to answer, the same goes for me... it's all about the experiences. Tranquility, serenity... we all go through phases. It started with steel for me, then progressed to freestone wilds, which I got scolded for dozens of times on another forum (how do you even have fun fishing for those tiny trout?).. mostly coming from idiots who fish ugly sticks and nightcrawlers who have no idea what rot wt. classification and dry flies are. You know, the ones who think the sulphur's are mosquitoes.

Then it was about limestoners and fishing to educated wild and finglerings... Now, when I get time to get out (hard with a newborn, been out once in the past month. I'm blessed with a girl who tells me to go all the time, but I'd rather be at home helping out) I find myself wanting to take newcomers to sport. I gave up my dream of guiding for the mere 5 month season in Alaska because I didn't want to miss any part of her early transitions through life.

Now, I leave the class A's alone and search out the streams that require long hikes. If any of you have the chance to fish Gillhouser Run here in Indiana Co., try to fish it with any rod over 7 feet.

sorry for boring you all w. the life story!

To the OP, keep us updated of our first outing with your rod of choice!

well, im still searching. Does anybody know of a company that makes a 4 piece 7' or under at a price under $120?

I have fished Gilhouser, did my undergrad at IUP, it was a pretty cool stream. Kind of shows you what limestone sanding will do...

When I advocated heavier line weights, I did NOT advocate longer rods. Yes, I'm talking about 5 wts, but the 6-8 foot variety, not the long rods.

Though, Gilhouser was rather open and easy casting compared to most streams that size. A lighter line weight would work just fine there.

gillhouser is awesome... there are streches that you can get a back cast in with a mid sized rod, but when you walk down the path and venture upstream, it's nearly impossible.

some big trout down there.

btw, I know a custom builder that could have a low end to mid level rainshadow in your hands for right around 150. I have an rx7. Will post pics tomorrow and a video of some long casts w. it. If you're interested in the builder contact me through pm

Most times I fish a tight stream I do pretty much zero true backcasting. But Gilhouser is pretty open, everywhere, and sometimes you can backcast there.

Streams like that are the rule rather than the exception in most of the state. Indiana County, obviously, isn't a great wild trout area overall.

cray, I don't know how long it's been since you visitied, or we may fish different places at gillhouser, but where I go, it is not open whatsover. In fact, you can't even access the water in a lot of spots due to mt. laurel that is very thick. If i can't throw a backcast, i'm not fishing it.

I will also say that Indiana has a few streams that would suprise the heck out of you... a few aren't on the list and you do need landowner permission. Not of the yellow creek watershed, though the trib that empties by 422, at the headwaters, is great wild fishing. Westmoreland and fayette is def. better, but I can assure you there is more wild fishing than most think.

Have you ever fished the streams towards robinson? Some stretches that never get fished down that way.

Yeah, upper yellow (above yellow creek lake) and some of those tribs were pretty sweet. Don't get me wrong, there's a few good ones in the area. But keep in mind, even Berks County, in suburban Philly, has 50ish wild trout streams, and some of the "good" trout counties in PA have literally hundreds.

No, I haven't done much fishing down towards Robinson, but you're really getting into the Laurel Highlands there, I'd expect things would get better. I have lived in or fished NW, NC, central, and SE PA quite a bit, and made a handful of trips to the SC area too. But the Laurel Highlands and the Pocono's remain pretty large holes in my PA wild trout fishing resume.

Been a while since I fished Gilhouser. I generally accessed it from I think it was a game lands parking lot or something of that nature, not really sure. It was a little turnaround at the end of a road, there was a maze of paths through some thick stuff to get to the stream that were easy to get turned around in. Lookin at google maps, might have been Michael's Road? We fished both up and down from there. I do remember that in dry summers, the stream was intermittent in places in the upper end, so there must have been some underground flow. It got a little bigger, and worse fishing, as you went down into the more mature forest areas.

I hold that it was fairly open compared to most small brookie streams I fish. It may have changed some, but I doubt that much unless new logging or something took place. Yeah, there was some laurel. But laurel is nothing compared to mature rhodo!

Perhaps difference in the streams we fish dictates our differences in choices of tackle? I think that happens often on this board. Someone asks about tackle choices for "small streams", and one person answers picturing tiny, thick, high gradient streams in X area, and another answers picturing medium sized, lower gradient, more open streams in Y area. Then those two argue. But they're both right for the streams they fish, they just have a different base of comparison.

FWIW, many of the streams I fish rarely give you a chance at a backcast. Often its bow and arrow, if for no other reason than to get line in front of you so you can roll cast to get the extra distance. I also often do a shortened hybrid between a roll and a backcast, you kind of lift all of the line off the water like a backcast but don't throw it behind you, only bring it to your side before the forward stroke. If it's open above, you can also do up and down casts, just throw the backcast straight up!

The hard part is drying flies. Use floatant, when it begins to sink, bring it in and blow on it. When all else fails, change the fly.

Where did you park to fish Gillhauser? You may have fished the upper reaches of little yellow, which is a common mistake.

yea i think we fished the same area, but I think things are a little different than when they were when you did. It is a lot thicker even from last year. I don't waste my time with streams like that when I can fish the class a and b's of fayette, letting you throw 30 footers if you cast cast under trees and such.

and yes, I know, you don't need to cast that far for native/wilds, but I enjoy doin it that way. A little more challenging than a roll for those small trout. I've never fished a wild freestoner w. anything but a dry fly. Who wants to nymph for 8'' fish? Some, but not this guy. I'd rather fish renosky's club for monster trout or big carp.

Just explained it. I don't remember the road name, but lookin at google maps, Michaels Road fits all of the things I do remember, I think that was it.

Back