Brookie or Pocono Stream This Week?

salmo

salmo

I have a chance to go fishing on Thursday this week (10-6-23). Basically I am a small stream guy living in South Jersey where there just ain't no trout streams. I live about about 15 miles southeast of Philly (BTW go Phitins!). A nice class A stream in the Poconos is abut 2.5 hours drive with mostly wild browns and the other a marginal brookie stream is about 2:10 away. Both are running well. Which would you chose or is there an alternative?
I have already ruled out Valley Creek for this trip. PM me if you want to know the name of the streams i intend to fish pm me with alternate suggestions. If anyone whats to join me Please let me know.

I have a chance to go fishing on Thursday this week (10-6-23). Basically I am a small stream guy living in South Jersey where there just ain't no trout streams. I live about about 15 miles southeast of Philly (BTW go Phitins!). A nice class A stream in the Poconos is abut 2.5 hours drive with mostly wild browns and the other a marginal brookie stream is about 2:10 away. Both are running well. Which would you chose or is there an alternative?
I have already ruled out Valley Creek for this trip. PM me if you want to know the name of the streams i intend to fish pm me with alternate suggestions. If anyone whats to join me Please let me know.
In the Poconos there is a plethora of small wild trout water for both species. I would look at the Natural Reproduction List & Class A List and the streams nearby where you are talking about.

You should be able to find decent water to fish.

Poconos, drinks at Minisink Hotel, nap it off in the car...

Judging from your other distances, Lehigh Valley streams might offer a slightly shorter drive?

If you're deciding on good vs marginal and the delta is 20 minutes, go good. Like you I often make a more than 2 hour driving investment on small stream days. At that point, what's 20 more minutes? Depending on where you're heading, a small stream on a Thursday probably isn't going to result in more risk someone will be fishing ahead of you if you get there 20 minutes later.

A couple of ways to recoupe the time difference: (1) load up the car the night before, (2) lay out your fishing clothes before going to bed like it's the first day of 3rd grade (3) pee before you leave, (4) set your cruise at 10 over the speed limit, and (5) settle for coffee at a Sheetz instead of a WAWA.

Good luck!

I sleep on he couch in my fishing pants, pee before I leave and sometimes on the way :) my margin is 14 over the limit (State cops gave me that one, but can't miss my 24 oz WaWa coffee. As for weather i wear jockey vs boxers Depends!

Back