Brookie "Attractor Streamer"

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

Native brook trout are not hard to catch, but decided I'll share what some would call a junk fly that has been working well for me lately. In no way am I saying this pattern will catch more brookies than any other pattern- it's just incredibly easy to tie.

Hook: #12 2x or 3x (forget exactly what I used) long curved nymph hook
Body: Some kind of red or orange Chenille (I've been using burnt orange but don't think exact color matters).
Tail: white rabbit strip
Thread: something strong.

I start off with 5-8 wraps of lead wire (depending on thickness of wire) for weight. This pattern needs to sink fairly quickly, but keep in mind on a brookie stream you will rarely need to get it deeper than a foot or two. If you don't want to use wire I'm sure a bead head would work just fine.

Next I add a small white rabbit strip just above bend in hook, and after securing that go straight into adding the chenille. Wrap that all the way to near the eye, tie off and that's it.

Once you get the fly wet, trim the rabbit strip so the entire fly is less than 1.5" total length. I've actually had very good hookup rates with this fly, but you have to give the fish enough time to get more than just the tail in their mouth.

One reason I love this fly is its visibility. Just swing this into a nice run or drop it into a pocket and wait for it to disappear into the mouth of a brookie! Haven't tested it in low, clear water of summer yet but it is killer in high and/or cold water (like right now). It looks stupid, but this guy approves:

Attachments

• 100_2511.JPG
    100_2511.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 20
PSUFishMenace wrote:
Native brook trout are not hard to catch, but decided I'll share what some would call a junk fly that has been working well for me lately. In no way am I saying this pattern will catch more brookies than any other pattern- it's just incredibly easy to tie.

Hook: #12 2x or 3x (forget exactly what I used) long curved nymph hook
Body: Some kind of red or orange Chenille (I've been using burnt orange but don't think exact color matters).
Tail: white rabbit strip
Thread: something strong.

I start off with 5-8 wraps of lead wire (depending on thickness of wire) for weight. This pattern needs to sink fairly quickly, but keep in mind on a brookie stream you will rarely need to get it deeper than a foot or two. If you don't want to use wire I'm sure a bead head would work just fine.

Next I add a small white rabbit strip just above bend in hook, and after securing that go straight into adding the chenille. Wrap that all the way to near the eye, tie off and that's it.

Once you get the fly wet, trim the rabbit strip so the entire fly is less than 1.5" total length. I've actually had very good hookup rates with this fly, but you have to give the fish enough time to get more than just the tail in their mouth.

One reason I love this fly is its visibility. Just swing this into a nice run or drop it into a pocket and wait for it to disappear into the mouth of a brookie! Haven't tested it in low, clear water of summer yet but it is killer in high and/or cold water (like right now). It looks stupid, but this guy approves:

I use something very similar for post spawn smallies when the water is a little low...The whole fly takes like 1 minute to make and smallies love it rolled along the bottom of the creek.

Back