Brook Trout Scars?

discomidge

discomidge

Last night I caught the brookie pictured below and noticed it had some slightly unusual scars on its back. It's a little over 9" and the scars were only on its right side. Anyone have any guesses as to what might cause scarring like that? Just curious.

For good measure I also tacked on pics of the stream and a big brookie that also lives in it. Man we are so spoiled in PA. I've sorted my job so I don't have to return to NYC and the prospect of fishing here for the foreseeable future really hits me every time I'm on the water.

Attachments

• scarred brookie.jpg
    scarred brookie.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 19
  • paradise.jpg
    paradise.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 13
  • mean mfing brookie.jpg
    mean mfing brookie.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 14
Tough to say - it could be a result of fishing line.

It's pretty common to see wild trout in PA that are scarred and beat up. Heron wounds, in particular, are common. Others are missing parts of their jaw structure (this is more common on heavily fished special reg waters) due to hook wounds. I think a lot of wild trout, when they're small, get chomped on by larger trout or other fish and this can really scuff them up too. Panfish and small small bass often have tooth scars from larger predators. Like all wild critters, they're survivors.

That second fish is a real beaut.

Possibly from fighting with another brook trout, but probably a close call with a predator. Maybe water snake teeth marks. I've seen scuffed up fish like that but never knew for sure what the cause is.

From the scars, I'd second Dave W.'s suggestion that they were from fishing leader, probably as you played the fish. They should not hurt the fish long term.

Fishing line was my first thought.

Thanks all, yeah line makes the most sense to me given how strangely regular the marks are

Not a great pick but I picked this guy up earlier this summer with similar marks. The marks were consistent on both sides of the bow's back and I'm pretty confident they were the result of a talon grab. As I was inspecting the scars, I recall wondering how high he got before he was dropped.

Attachments

• 20210618_1133451.jpg
    20210618_1133451.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8
Back