Brook Trout Article From 1968 PA Angler

I echo T's thank you to Mike -- lots to think about, esp. since it's from 1968. It was 14 years later, I think, that Operation FUTURE began removing streams from the stocking list.

Great article. Thanks.

Also, loved the "notes from the stream" section. Interesting look at the way things were.

I found it interesting that the guy highlighting the negatives of stocking wild brook trout streams estimated he killed 10 of the 20 brookies he caught by using bait.

I found it interesting that the guy highlighting the negatives of stocking wild brook trout streams estimated he killed 10 of the 20 brookies he caught by using bait.
Haha yea different time for sure. I have a feeling back when the henryville angler house and these well to do fly fishing clubs existed that there was alot of hypocrisy. Their log books are full of guests boasting 120 fish days and taking old timey pictures of 100 brookies strung out hanging on a game poll by their gills. But then the quest for the golden trout book alot of these historical rich angling clubs also bought private streams because of the “heathens and poachers”. Angling’s relationship with and biases on conservation has come a long way but has a long way to go. Interesting to travel back in time like this by reading an old publication though.

Apparently, it takes a long time to see progress. Or none at all in some cases. It's interesting to read those thoughts from the chief of the division of fisheries fifty-four years ago. Especially the acknowledgment of the issue of incidental mortality due to stocking over brook trout. It really makes me question the excuse that stocking over brook trout isn't the reason for the low abundance of brook trout.

He was the chief of the division of fisheries but did not have the power to make the change, even though he thought it would be beneficial.

The Commissioners were the deciders, not the biologist/managers.

True back in 1968, and still true today.

He was the chief of the division of fisheries but did not have the power to make the change, even though he thought it would be beneficial.

Seems like a broken system where trained fisheries biologist are unable to get nominated individuals with no fisheries science backgrounds to make recommended changes.

Yea Pennsylvania has been stuck in the immediate post industrial revolution, henry fords model-T, and great depression of wild native brook management for some time now.

This a shot of me pulling out of my garage to go fish the Upper Savage River special brook trout management zone in Maryland.

Thanks to Mike and TB for sharing that article. Ironic, is all I can say. They knew better then, and they know better now, but nothing seems to be getting done about it. Reminds me of the climate issues that we're facing today, that they were talking about 20 years ago.

Did I read correctly that the extended season provided fishing into late October before closing until the spring? Oh how I long for the good ol days!

Back