Broken Sage rod.

I broke my TXL #000 weight . my bread and butter wild and native trout rod before starting to build my own. Sent it back to sage and I believe it cost 50$, but that was a few years ago..

isn't the first time I have heard bad thing about sage warranty. its a good reason to get a new rod. they get a lot of broken rods so that is the reason for long turn around. could go with an orvis and they would just give you a new one. that's real customer service. they might be nice rods but I also like a good warranty and theirs sucks and there are many companies out there that would just make you pay for shipping if that.

That policy stinks. You paid a lot more for a rod to get a "lifetime" warranty, and they still rock you a considerable amount. The $50 was reasonable, I guess. I suppose higher amount is still cheaper than a new rod.

I hate breaking rods. Maybe it's time to give up the ghost and buy a new one.

I had an old Sage GFL break in about the same spot while playing a big brown trout on Big Spring. It sounded like a 22 going off when it broke - I didn't know what the heck happened and no I didn't land the fish.
I got an old piece of rod from a junk store (might have even been an old glass spinning rod) and found an area of the junk rod that fit the taper inside of both sides of the break and epoxied it in place. Made some decorative type thread wraps over the break site and have been fishing with it for 5 or 6 yrs that way. As far down as that break is it really doesn't affect the action that much and mine is a 7 1/2' 5 wt.

I have, unfortunately, broken many Sage rods over the years, and they have always done a fine job of either repairing or replacing them without any questions, in line with their warranty policy.

Except for their first generation rods, on which I believe the graphite was brittle and with insufficient flex, I can't think of having any other Sage rods break due to a defect in the rod itself. I've had, and have broken most of them over the years, through and including graphite II, III, RPL, SP, XP, and Z-Axis. Haven't had time to break the Sage One model yet, but give it some time...

However, I have broken rods in practically every conceivable fashion. I suspect when I send each broken back to them, they just roll their eyes and put another notch on my bad boy chart.

John

Back