Brodhead Creek, Monroe County 7-9 & 7-10

P

pmelle

Here is a great write up on Pocono streams. Tha author does a great job chronicling their history, places to fish, and his experience. I've hit a few of these and will get to the rest in the near future.

http://dougvitale.blogspot.com/2014/05/pennsylvania-poconos-trout.html?m=1

My favorite on this list , (so far and probably forever) is Brodhead Creek. I've only ever had the luxury to fish it from the parks along rt 191 above Stroidsburg all the way to the mouth of the Delaware. Most of the upper portions of the creek are privately owned by clubs, but boy does that water look good. I fish it quite often, either near Stroudsburg or down in the gorge. I've caught Browns, rainbows, brookies, bass, and my first Chad on the fly a few weeks ago. Lots of fish move up out of the Delaware into it. Sea lampreys and stripers both pushing 30 inches!

This past weekend, I fished the lower gorge near the Papermill catching a good number of rainbows and Browns on Saturday. Sunday I fished just outside of Stroudsburg, where McMichaels creek runs into again catching good numbers of fish. Water temp was 63. Didn't see a ton of risers or bugs, but stuck to nymphing mostly. Was using a random rig of big helgramites pattern with a frenchie as the trailing fly. It was overcast and slightly cooler both days. Water was running around 200 cfs, ideal for wading. Caught fish throughout the day on both days.

You check the temps down by the papermill? Water is about 1/4th what it should be and its been pretty hot in the area recently. Just curious.

I was down at the papermill Monday at sunset. I didn't have a thermometer, but the water is definitely low and warm. Saw maybe 3 fish rising very sporadically, and they didn't want a damn thing I threw at them. Lots of mosquitoes and not much else in the way of insects. Very different than fishing the same stretch 2 weeks ago. I think I'm calling it quits on trout down there for the summer.

Yeah that's kind of how the gorge goes. The weekend I was there it was high 60s on Saturday. Caught a couple of nice Browns in faster water tight lining. Pulled some nice rainbows out of the big hole down there on streamers. It always fishes well after rain at this point. Gets a little off cover but water goes up and cools off a bit.

Yea i hear ya. Ill probably fish elsewhere until at least September. Those fish need a break. Guys will still fish it though. Spring and fall and even in the dead of winter i seem to do well there.

Back